CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   F3 idle cable came out and won't thread back in (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/f3-idle-cable-came-out-wont-thread-back-157593/)

Jon Smothers 05-14-2018 07:51 PM

F3 idle cable came out and won't thread back in

I accidentally unthreaded the idle cable next to the fuel shut off switch on my F3 98 model. I can easily get my small hand in to wear it threads in, but I lost the spring and I can't seem to get this flexible set stop threaded in there it almost seems like the threads are not the right size or it's too big or something I just can't get it started and it's frustrating the hell out of me can I get it may help for you guys? I just bought this bike a very well may have been disconnected when I got it but it seems like it's the right part for my research any help would be greatly appreciated

hamlin6 05-14-2018 08:14 PM

Not really sure, but you will need that spring. I wouldn't worry about getting it screwed in until you find the spring.

Jon Smothers 05-14-2018 08:19 PM

Is that spring really necessary if there is a way for me to set that in there temporarily and bring my idle up so that it doesn't keep dying out when I shift it really doesn't even seem like the choke is working either but mechanically I can see and feel the bar sliding hope this makes sense but I'd really like to just cut that cable short, screw it in and get my bike to the shop

hamlin6 05-14-2018 08:37 PM

It is needed. There is also a washer that goes on there. I suppose you could rig something in there to wedge it open somehow.
Your choke circuit isn't going to be able to help you much if your idle is really out of whack.

Jon Smothers 05-14-2018 08:41 PM

I guess if I understood the functionality of the idle adjustment cable I would figure out a way to bring it, but I don't know anything about it and I just bought this bike 2 weeks ago and it's been at least seven years since I've had a bike so I'm very anxious and somewhat mechanically a adept

so if anyone has any ideas on how to rig this thing I'm open to any suggestions

hamlin6 05-14-2018 08:51 PM

The end of it pushes the stop of an arm on the #3. The arms of all 4 carbs are interconnected. So when you adjust the idle screw you are changing all 4 at the same time.
I would recommend pulling at least your side fairings and having a ggod look with a flashlight. I have dropped lots of stuff in there and for whatever reason, it seems to find its way under the starter sometimes.

If you are wanting to take it to a dealer just to fix this you may be better off just buying on online or at the dealer and installing it yourself. I know it is giving you fits now, but it is a very doable DIY. thing.

BwanaTumbo 05-15-2018 07:53 AM

To be fair I lost the spring 5 years ago ........ still works OK! its a bit of an od angle to match the threads up but its doable with side rear panel off only.....

Gunk 05-15-2018 04:28 PM

I’ve replaced the complete idle assembly on an F3 and for access the tank needs to come off. The spring is there to hold the idle screw in position, it creates a simple friction and stops the screw moving with vibration. A biro spring should do it.

hamlin6 05-15-2018 05:20 PM

+1 on what Gunk said about its purpose. Also an unofficial benefit of it is after you use it for a while, you get the feel of the tension getting less tigjt when you unscrew it. That kind of give you a mental warning that its time to stop.

I am not saying you can't ride without it, I am saying that it was designed (as Gunk stated) to be there to hold everything in place with pressure.