CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

F3 to F4i Gauge Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by orangef3
yeah the light is going to pop up and a dash will be present on the screen until the bike is running...once the bike is running the light will go out..don't worry about the readout staying as a dash(got me at first too) the readout will stay a dash until the sensor reads roughly about 95 degrees then keeps up from there

Thanks buddy, now I just have to get this thing running...

Old 01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Default I have different color wires on my Gauge

I did the F4i swap on my 96 F3 and everything is good except for one thing. The bike is always dying or boggs under a load (around 4K) I checked the wiring diagram against the instructions here on page #9 and noticed that I have different F4i wires and two of my F3 wires (green and pink) is not connected. Here is what the F4i has coming out of it:

G/BL
P/G
BLK/BR
BR/WHT
R/G
W/BL
Y/G
BL/R
LB
BL
LG/R
ORG
GREEN (ONLY ONE)
G/BLK
BR/BLK
G/WHT

Basically Im missing another GREEN wire. I checked the harness and its not in there. I cross-referenced the F4i 2001-2003 manual and the schematic shows my EXACT setup, with only ONE GREEN. Here is my question: I have TWO loose wires coming FROM the F3.

SOLID GREEN and SOLID PINK

Where do I connect these to if everything else is connected together properly.

Just so we are not confused Ill make it easier. All the other wires on the gauges are connected correctly. Of the loose wires I have TWO solid GREEN wires on the F3 and one Solid PINK. One of the solid GREEN wires is connected to the solid GREEN on the F4i, its just the last two have no place to connect to.

Here is how mine is currently connected:

F4i F3
G/BL - G/BL
P/G - P/G
BLK/BR - BLK/BRN
BR/WHT - BRN
R/G - R/G
W/BL - Y/BLK
Y/G - Y/G
BL/R - BL/R
LB - LB
BL - BL
LG/R - LG/R
ORG - ORG
GREEN (ONLY ONE) - GREEN
G/BLK - G/BLK
BR/BLK - NOT CONNECTED
G/WHT - NOT CONNECTED
NOT CONNECTED - SOLID PINK
NOT CONNECTED - SOLID GREEN

Any Help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

F3

Solid Pink goes to ?
Solid Green goes to?

Last edited by lky_3; 01-28-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by lky_3
I did the F4i swap on my 96 F3 and everything is good except for one thing. The bike is always dying or boggs under a load (around 4K) I checked the wiring diagram against the instructions here on page #9 and noticed that I have different F4i wires and two of my F3 wires (green and pink) is not connected. Here is what the F4i has coming out of it:

G/BL
P/G
BLK/BR
BR/WHT
R/G
W/BL
Y/G
BL/R
LB
BL
LG/R
ORG
GREEN (ONLY ONE)
G/BLK
BR/BLK
G/WHT

Basically Im missing another GREEN wire. I checked the harness and its not in there. I cross-referenced the F4i 2001-2003 manual and the schematic shows my EXACT setup, with only ONE GREEN. Here is my question: I have TWO loose wires coming FROM the F3.

SOLID GREEN and SOLID PINK

Where do I connect these to if everything else is connected together properly.

Just so we are not confused Ill make it easier. All the other wires on the gauges are connected correctly. Of the loose wires I have TWO solid GREEN wires on the F3 and one Solid PINK. One of the solid GREEN wires is connected to the solid GREEN on the F4i, its just the last two have no place to connect to.

Here is how mine is currently connected:

F4i F3
G/BL - G/BL
P/G - P/G
BLK/BR - BLK/BRN
BR/WHT - BRN
R/G - R/G
W/BL - Y/BLK
Y/G - Y/G
BL/R - BL/R
LB - LB
BL - BL
LG/R - LG/R
ORG - ORG
GREEN (ONLY ONE) - GREEN
G/BLK - G/BLK
BR/BLK - NOT CONNECTED
G/WHT - NOT CONNECTED
NOT CONNECTED - SOLID PINK
NOT CONNECTED - SOLID GREEN

Any Help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

F3

Solid Pink goes to ?
Solid Green goes to?
Ground out the pink, make sure its a good location on the frame, no paint. I think I just left the green and everything was fine.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:29 AM

For those of you who have done this before, or to those of you who know:

-I just ordered a gauge cluster, and I want to make sure it works before I do the install. Does anyone know how I can test it before I start hacking at my bike?

-Also the step-by-step link is no longer working, looks like cbrworld is down. Anyone know of another place with a similar step by step?

-I have never seen a speedohealer, but would I need one for the F3, or for the F4i after this mod is complete?

Thanks much guys.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Default f4i gauge

-I just ordered a gauge cluster, and I want to make sure it works before I do the install. Does anyone know how I can test it before I start hacking at my bike?

-Also the step-by-step link is no longer working, looks like cbrworld is down. Anyone know of another place with a similar step by step?

Site seems fine to me? Use this cached link, it should work.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

-I have never seen a speedohealer, but would I need one for the F3, or for the F4i after this mod is complete?

Mine wasnt off, I know it should be by a little but at 40mph next to another car it was spot on

Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hootie233

Site seems fine to me? Use this cached link, it should work.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com

Mine wasnt off, I know it should be by a little but at 40mph next to another car it was spot on
The site works for me now, but it was down for a couple of days before, for me anyway.

Hopefully the speedo wont be off by much, Ill have to test it come spring. But do you happen to know which speedohealer Ill need if I need one?

Any one happen to know how I can test it before I start the mod?

Thanks again

Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 PM

Bump....

Anyone know?

Old 02-10-2011, 07:00 PM

I figured out how to power up the cluster.

You want to ground
-White/Blue
-Blue/Green
-Green
-Green/Black
-Blue/Red

Send power to
-Red/Green
-Brown/White
-Black/Brown

This should be the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8aaXiJI80

***I take no responsibly for any damage to your cluster if you try this***

Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM

Really sorry if this has been asnwered but been looking for an hour. When using the 'FI' light for kickstand indicator, the wire was switched. Original tutorial http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/219055.aspx shows;
F3 to F4i

Green/Blue Green/Blue
Pink/Green Pink/Green
Black/Brwon Black/Brown
Brown Brown/White
Light Green/Red Light Green/Red
Orange Orange
Light Blue Light Blue
Blue Blue
Blue/Red Blue/Red
Green (one) Green
Green/Black Green/Black
Yellow/Green Yellow/Green
Yellow/Black Green/White
Pink (solid pink) - ground this out (other green)
Brown/Black - fuel reserve sensor - not used
White/Blue - fi indicator - not used.
Red/Green - battery(+) - connect to battery
then it says;
.....I finally discovered how to use the 'FI' bulb as the kickstand indicator!! To add, it is also functional in that if you put the kickstand down in gear, it stalls!

f3's yellow/black wire connects to f4i's white/blue wire AND NOT it's green/black wire.

So what am I supposed to do with the f4i's Green/White wire? not used?
Oh and if I do end up needing a speedohealer, does it connect to anything in the gauges wiring or is it a separate connector it plugs into?

Last edited by To_Endanger; 02-25-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:58 PM

I can't remember what the other green/white wire goes to if anything. I will have to see if I can find my wiring diagram but the speedo healer plugs into the speed sensor on the right side of the bike...three pin connector pretty much right over top of the clutch cover...can't miss it when you take the right side fairings off...it's sitting on top of the main harness

Quick Reply: F3 to F4i Gauge Swap