CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Engine Ticking Noise CBR600F3

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ticking Noise CBR600F3

Hello people,

Been lurking around for a while here but thought I would fire a question out there.

I picked up my first 'proper' bike around 2 weeks ago, a 1997 CBR600 F3. Great bike, I love it. But in the last couple of days it seems to have developed a fairly loud ticking noise. Now I am worried there is a problem with the valves. I have read many other posts about this and I do not believe it is the CCT as its a tick, rather than a rattle. The bike has done just over 40000 miles and doesn't seem to be down on power and runs and rides perfectly. I can hear the ticking most when pulling off in 1st and up to around 3500 RPM. I cannot hear it when changing down and decelerating - which leads me to think its not a valve problem? I have ordered some exhaust gaskets and some new plugs which I will fit this weekend. Anyone have any ideas, or seen this type of thing before? It is audible at tick over and seems noisier when hot. I think the oil was changed just before I got the bike and the oil seems very clean.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Rob

Old 02-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved to the F3 section

Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Is it continuous at engine speed?

Old 02-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by FOGeologist
Is it continuous at engine speed?
Hi, yes it is up to around 3500 when i can no longer hear it. But i think general engine noise drowns it out.

cheers

Old 02-22-2014, 05:19 AM

The bike has died now Was on my way to work this morning and it was struggling to rev. I immediately thought fuel, so I pulled over and switched to reserve. Still nothing. It turns over and fires occasionally but it wont run.

Any ideas?

Old 02-22-2014, 07:21 AM

It wont crank ?
You must have gasoline pump. Check it is it working.
If I am understand you right, you're bike wont crank or if crank it work in low rev ?
Sorry if I'm not understand you, but my english is bad. I just want to help you.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by turbo rider
It wont crank ?
You must have gasoline pump. Check it is it working.
If I am understand you right, you're bike wont crank or if crank it work in low rev ?
Sorry if I'm not understand you, but my english is bad. I just want to help you.
Hi there,

Yes it will crank fine. I have gravity fed the fuel strait to the carbs and it runs fine. The fuel pump will also turn if i wire it directly to the battery, but when i plug it in normally, it will not turn. I am thinking the fuel pump relay is faulty? I have checked the fuse.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:10 PM

Hey Rob,

I know you had mentioned that you do not believe its the CCT, but I had a similar problem that wound up being be the CCT. Its an easy check, I would check it out if I was you to rule it out.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 AM

Hmm...
and the fuse was good ? Just try to change it with other. I'm sure you have another in your garage.
The relay is good suggestion, but on my F3 someone was removed that relay and wire the pump direct to contact key. :X So I don't know where's that relay.

Ps. What's CCT ?

Old 02-23-2014, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by turbo rider
Hmm...
and the fuse was good ? Just try to change it with other. I'm sure you have another in your garage.
The relay is good suggestion, but on my F3 someone was removed that relay and wire the pump direct to contact key. :X So I don't know where's that relay.

Ps. What's CCT ?
I think its the relay that is in front of the ECU on the RHS. I have checked the fuse. How would i check the CCT? I know where it is, but shall i remove it and check in some way?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise CBR600F3