CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Easiest way to show my problem.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:41 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to show my problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVmgNN1Ne4

Problem: Three days ago I could go out and start the bike np. Yesterday I was making adjustments to my hid kit which blew out the head light fuse and stopped working so I threw that out, I never should have bought it. (hid kit was the cause) But, the bike started, in 1st gear go about three feet then stop, wouldnt start.

Today, fully charged battery, checked/replaced every fuse, everything else electrical works blinkers etc. Wont start.......... Any one know why?

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 PM

That's definetly an electrical problem. When u were working on the hid kit, make sure u didn't pull any wires loose under the instrument cluster.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:16 PM

also check some of your connectors, you might have melted one or something. but ^^he is right its definitely an electrical problem.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks guys. Yea i know its electrical they are the worst problems i think, Ive had them in the past. I just cant figure it out all i do know is that hid kit was a waste of money and fd up my bike.

Which connectors exactly are you talking about?

And i will check the connections under the gauges.

Any other suggestions? i have a while until riding season but what the heck it was just working the other day, you know?

Old 12-18-2009, 01:33 PM

check the right handlebar connector. Im not that great with Carburetor electrical stuff yet, i know FI better. But you said you checked all your fuses right?? even the starter fuse? dont wanna sound like i think you dont know what your doin, but you are in N right?? if all those are ok, pull out a multimeter and check to see if your starter motor is getting any power. then check your switches also make sure those are still good(check the resistence into the switches)

Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
Any other suggestions? i have a while until riding season but what the heck it was just working the other day, you know?
Actually that's exactly what my bike does when the short in the starter relay starts acting a bytch. Posted this before but to give you an idea:

I usually just wiggle it a little and she'll fire up. Thanks to chuckbear, I'll be replacing the whole wire harness when it warms up enough not to lose fingers to frostbite. I don't think your problem is getting past the starter system so I'd start checking everything related to it: starter relay, ignition switch, kill switch, starter motor, neutral / sidestand / clutch switches. Essentially anything that would either prevent the bike from turning over the starter motor. Including any safety feature that would prevent the bike from starting

Old 12-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

First off, thanks for the video. That tells us a lot. So what can we tell from the video ?
  1. The Ignition (key) switch is good.
    All the lights light up.
  2. The Battery is most likely good.
    Everything is bright, not going dim when starter button depressed.
  3. The Starter Relay is not turning on.
    Should be a substantial dimming when trying to turn the engine over.
Basically, we need to get the Starter Relay to energize. There are essentially 2 things that are going to prevent the relay from turning on. The Engine Stop switch (the red switch you're flipping down before trying to start) and the Starter Switch (the one you press to start it). Power is supplied from a 10A fuse through a BLACK wire to the Right Handlebar switch assembly. There are 2 switches and 3 circuits there. Power goes to the Engine Stop switch first. If that switch turns on, it then supplies power to 1 of the 2 circuits in the Starter Button switch. (The other circuit in the Starter Button switch provides power to your Headlight and we know that's working because your High Beam Indicator bulb is lit). If the Engine Stop switch is good, then power has to go through the Starter Switch when you press the Starter Button. When you press that button, power is then applied directly to the Starter Relay. Providing the relay is propperly gounded (highly likely) the relay will energize. There are 2 highly probably causes and they're easy to fix.

It's much easier to work on the switch assembly if you remove the right Clip-On from the forks, then take the assembly off the Clip-On.
  1. The Engine Stop switch contacts are dirty.
    An easy way to determine if that switch is working is to check for 12v on the Bl/W wire at the Fuel Cut relay. With the ignition switch turned on and the Engine Stop switch in the Run position, there should be a constant 12v on that wire.

Name:  DSC03165.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  39.7 KB
    Name:  DSC03164.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  35.4 KB
    Name:  DSC03162.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  30.4 KB
    Name:  DSC03161.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  51.0 KB
  2. The Starter Button switch contacts are dirty, or one of the soldered wires has come loose from the Starter Switch.
    This switch is a little tougher to work on because it's down in the assembly pretty good and takes some fenagling to get it out. If you find that one of the solder joints on the switch are broken, make the effort to get the switch out before trying to solder it. You get a much better angle on it when it's out. You can see the wire that has come loose from the switch. In this case I was working on the other circuit of the Starter Switch, which provides power to the headlight, but you get the idea.

Name:  DSC03157.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  54.1 KB
There are other possible problems that might cause the symptoms that you're getting, but these happen a lot on Honda and are common.

Good luck

Old 12-19-2009, 10:38 AM

Thanks alot guys. Im going to have to look at it tomorrow.

So idodirt you really think thats the problem even though my bike was just starting and working fine two days ago?

And, two days ago literally right after the head light fuse blew out from the hid kit, it would start, first gear engaged i could go about three feet, bike would stall, and not re start, same thing that happened in the video, nothing.

What im trying to ask is you think its the starter? even though it was just working it could have got burnt out or something?

I feel like its just something really simple, really annoying...... (i really have to learn to stop modifying my bike and just live with what i got)

Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I don't think it's the starter at all! I think it's dirty contacts (or burnt contacts) on either the Engine Stop switch or the Starter Switch. Burnt contacts on the Starter Switch is most likely because of the added current running through the 2nd circut in that switch for the head lights. I believe that the HID system draws more power through that switch, and may have melted it. Just take it apart and look.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks you have been very helpful, especially with those pictures.

I just dis assembled it and cleaned the engine stop/run switch and connections, also the two wire connections are not burnt out or loose.

On the starter switch, it is dirty and i tried to clean it up a little, but the three wires are not burnt out or loose. Thought it was going to start, but did not.

Im going to keep it dis assembled anything else I should check in there? or through out the bike

Quick Reply: Easiest way to show my problem.