CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving me crazy

my brother bought a 98 f3. bike is a good bike and is all there but a week after he bought it we started having issues with it. it would start and somewhat run rough. i assumed that the guy he bought it from just hadnt ran it in a while so i said screw it lets get it out and get the thing runnin on the road. started it up and let it warm up and it cut out and quit running. so i went through everything i could think of that happened on my f3 which is equivellent in mileage. only 15,xxx. checked the fuel pump contacts and rr. everything was ok with both. petcock is in correct position and everything seems to be the way it should be. even tore my bike down and compared stuff. so i checked the spark. getting good spark atleast on crank. pulled the plugs and found that somebody put (3) cr7eh9's in it and one cr9eh9. so i bought 4 cr9eh9's which is what the book calls for and installed them. put everything back together and started it up. ran and idled fine. warmed it up and we jumped on our bikes and took of. thing was running good untill only 3 or so miles and it started cutting out and died. and would not start after it died. like it was out of fuel or for that fact was flooded. previous owner said the bike was jetted and i dont know by who or any details. bike is from another state and cannot contact the previous owner. does anybody have any more ideas before i rip my hair out. ive checked the fuel pump 2 times now. already looks like it was previously replaced. contacts are beautifulany help or different insight would be awesome

Old 09-27-2010, 11:48 PM

hmm... check the battery voltage?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM

yea the voltage is fine. running its at just over 14v. after it dies it will still crank over strong.it will just fire up and die again tho. last night i put the charger on it and cranked it over for a good amount of time and it fired up and idled solid for 45 minutes. i shut it off and started it back up multiple times but did no ride it because i didnt feel like getting stranded late at night in the rain. i felt as if i were to hop on it and start riding it would just die after a few miles. but the fact that it will idle and run great for as long as u want it to is confusing me

Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 AM

might not be able to keep up with charging when the bike is at higher rpm, take a voltmeter to it and see what it drops down to when you start her up

Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 AM

ok i will after work. wouldnt that kill the battery completely tho? causing me to not even be able to crank it after it dies? cause it quit at around 3000rpm's. and if that were the issue where the battery wasnt being charged at higher rpm's should i suspect the stator or related wiring?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 AM

does it crank good right after it dies? and starts up right up?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:48 AM

yea it cranks real strong after it dies. it will fire back up a couple times and die right away. then it just wont fire at all. but will crank strong still. atleast untill the battery gets ran down which is normal if its being cranked for extended time

Old 09-28-2010, 11:55 AM

what's idle running at? do you smell gas when the bike is in idle?

Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be looking at a fuel issue vs an electric issue. Try the fuel filter, may be clogged.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Ijap, that's where I'm leaning towards, either that or running rich/dry

Quick Reply: Driving me crazy