CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Do you like your CBR F3? Or is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you like your CBR F3? Or is it just me?

Hello guys,
After having my trouble maker CBR F3 for 3 years I finally parted it out. I loved the bike a lot. It was comfortable for daily commute and had enough power on a track... But that's what was good....
I would nt get rid of that bike If I didn't have so much problems with it. I dont know how many times I got stuck in the middle of nowhere, I spent more than $450 on towing. I had to buy AAA afterworlds just to be safer. I spent 1000s of hours outside fixing it. My neighbors thought I am a complete nerd. I changed 3 fuel pumps, cleaned carbs like 10 times. I dont even know how much $$$ I spent on different parts. It was a disaster. I almost became paranoiac. Every time I rode the bike I had a stupid feeling that she s gonna break. I am so happy I finally made that decision till I went completely nuts. I am more than mechanically inclined, worked in car shops back in the day. But this bike just filled my cup. Ohh...dont even say word F3 to me know...
SO IS IT JUST ME who got all that luck????

And in memory of that bike here are some pics...

Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by desperado
Hello guys,
After having my trouble maker CBR F3 for 3 years I finally parted it out. I loved the bike a lot. It was comfortable for daily commute and had enough power on a track... But that's what was good....
I would nt get rid of that bike If I didn't have so much problems with it. I dont know how many times I got stuck in the middle of nowhere, I spent more than $450 on towing. I had to buy AAA afterworlds just to be safer. I spent 1000s of hours outside fixing it. My neighbors thought I am a complete nerd. I changed 3 fuel pumps, cleaned carbs like 10 times. I dont even know how much $$$ I spent on different parts. It was a disaster. I almost became paranoiac. Every time I rode the bike I had a stupid feeling that she s gonna break. I am so happy I finally made that decision till I went completely nuts. I am more than mechanically inclined, worked in car shops back in the day. But this bike just filled my cup. Ohh...dont even say word F3 to me know...
SO IS IT JUST ME who got all that luck????

And in memory of that bike here are some pics...

i am pretty ocd, and once i learned how my engine sounded, any alteration and i was on my toes wondering what the hell it was

Old 03-26-2010, 03:16 PM

I've had my '97 F3 for a year now and put over 20K+ miles on it. I don't rag it out or stunt. I simply enjoy the freedom it brings me while on her. The only issue I've had was what I caused. I hit a stop sign while doing about 30mph. Don't ask me how it happened, just trust me, I hit it. I replaced several plastics, gauges, and one control. She still runs like the day I got her when she was only 17K+ old. I would not trade it for any other bike. Always starts and eager to please.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by joel45acp
I've had my '97 F3 for a year now and put over 20K+ miles on it. I don't rag it out or stunt. I simply enjoy the freedom it brings me while on her. The only issue I've had was what I caused. I hit a stop sign while doing about 30mph. Don't ask me how it happened, just trust me, I hit it. I replaced several plastics, gauges, and one control. She still runs like the day I got her when she was only 17K+ old. I would not trade it for any other bike. Always starts and eager to please.
Good. I knew I was the luckiest one..LOL
But...how the hell did u hit the stop sign???? That must ve been a precise hit )) OK..sorry I m not gonna ask again ))

Old 03-26-2010, 05:12 PM

desperado i'm starting to get like you. i went through 3 sets of carbs, cleaned each set multiple times, i pretty much know what every wire is and where it gos to by checking the resistance and ohm loads, i can take carbs off now in about 3 seconds flat, and i could hook up and take out spark plugs if i was blind deaf and mute.

annnnd she still wont run right. AGH.

Somethings you just gotta let go.........

Old 03-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough question to answer for me. I bought an 06 F4i off eBay yesterday just waiting for the funds transfer to clear and she'll be on her way to me. My girlfriend sorta bought it for me, leaving the payback open ended. She did finally put a demand into the mix: I have to give up the F3. I think she's sick of the living room looking like an offsite eBay storage.

And it'll be hard but I'd be lying if I didn't admit my immediate response was "Ok". Course the Guy in me is gonna try to weasel outta of it if I can. But if I can't, I will sell it. Like intiractive, I know every twist of wire and bolt in her. Taking the carbs off this last time, I didn't even get halfway thru my beer. I know what she sounds like when all is well. And when she's just faking it. A single season was long enough to build the relationship. But not long enough to explore its depths. If / when I give up my F3, I'll be doing so know I never found our limits.

That said, my F3 has treated me very different than yours have you. Other than tossing me whenever I did something stupid, mine has never really complained. All the tinkering I've done has been cause I wanted to do it. If it weren't satisfying in some way, she'd have been parted out long ago. If you're that disgusted with your bike, can't get more ear to ear grins from riding than left to right foot frowns every time you have to touch a wrench, then ya. You're past time to be looking for another bike.

We all work for a living. You shouldn't have to work for recreation too.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:59 PM

i love my bike. no real issues, runs perfectly everytime. only had the std r/r, fuel pump issues. other than that perfect bike. sure id like to have a newer one just because, but there is no reason for it. no complaints from me. a bike that doesnt run great or doesnt run at all when buying isnt always a cheap or easy fix.

Last edited by willduce; 03-26-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by intiractive
desperado i'm starting to get like you. i went through 3 sets of carbs, cleaned each set multiple times, i pretty much know what every wire is and where it gos to by checking the resistance and ohm loads, i can take carbs off now in about 3 seconds flat, and i could hook up and take out spark plugs if i was blind deaf and mute.

annnnd she still wont run right. AGH.

Somethings you just gotta let go.........
Want a good advice? Sell it or part it out. You ll even make some money. Dont repeat my mistake. It was not worth it at all. Yes, I know everything about F3 now, but time and money spent can not be recovered. I dont know why I waited so long. I feel sssssoooooo stupid now. Its a great bike, but if does not serve you well....save your money and nervous system.
BTW I also had EX500 like yours before I bought F3. That 87 Kawi was the best and bullet proof bike ever built )).

Last edited by desperado; 03-26-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
She did finally put a demand into the mix: I have to give up the F3.
or.
get the f4i and break up with her.
boom.
2 bikes. tons of love.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buying a 2nd hand bike is always a worry, you always wonder why if its such a good bike, then why are they selling it. Even from a dealer it can be risky business. I have been caught once with a dodgy BMW K100 & believe it or not, it was on sale from a bike shop that was closing down ( I had got another Beemer from there before & it was a great bike). Needless to say it crapped itself a week later ,10 clicks from work & 80 from home. Spent weeks trying to fix it & when one thing got right, something else would go wrong. Thought the thing was cursed. Anyway,spent more hours working on it than riding, so fixed it up & sold it before something else could go wrong.
My CBR I've had from new, only thing that has caused me grief was the reg, but thankfully happened close to home when it finally died (thought it was the battery but only cost a relatively small amount of cash to fix & in the process found the best bike mechanic & workshop in the area). But that's it so far (touch wood) been as reliable as a Swiss watch.