CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Dies after hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dies after hard acceleration

Alright, since I bought my bike, after a hard acceleration (usually hitting past 11k) and after returning to cruising speed (usually 55-60ish), the bike will feel like its running out of gas, then stall.

I'll pull off to the side of the road, open the choke all the way, and it will fire right up. It jumps up to 3500, and if I slowly close the choke, it will return to normal idle (1500 rpm), and run perfect. If I close the choke fast, it will stall again.

If happened a couple times last summer, and seemed to stop after I replaced my plugs last month, but now its done it to me twice in the past week.

Am I flooding it? I didn't think I was because it would run fine after doing the choke trick I mentioned earlier.

My choke lever has always only had half slack. You only feel tension after pulling it halfway down.

I took my tank off last week and checked the cable connection at the carbs. The cable is seated properly and everything is connected fine.

Its not a HUGE deal, as I've gotten used to opening the choke while its doing this so it doesn't die. Just a PITA.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:41 PM

is there a fuel pump on your f3 or is it running on gravity feed?

there would be no reason to choke the motor when its hot to make it start, closed choke is only used for cold start up

almost every single f3 choke feels like it has "half slack"

sounds like fuel flow can not keep up with engine demand

Last edited by colorado_steve; 06-29-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the bike will feel like its running out of gas
Check your petcock for sludge, and may be some fine dirt in the carbs.............
Float levels or dirt in the needle and seats ?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:41 PM

It's using the pump not gravity fed. Good to know I don't have the only F3 with half the slack.

Shadow I checked out the petcock over the winter when it was painted, all good.

Unforunately, I don't know a damn thing about carbs, and am starting to despise them every day.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:08 PM

Well she died again today. Using the choke didn't help.

I waited 10 minutes and she sprang to life for a quick second then died. Waited 15 minutes and same thing, only a little longer.

Then waited 25 minutes and she fired up like nothing happened.

Anyone have any idea what I'm waiting for? It will always start with no problems after waiting a bit after this happens.

I'm also faintly smelling gas when I come to a stop now. To me these are sure signs of running rich.

What would cause this?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

You can't smell a rich engine unless it's running and them you'd have to be a bit of a motor sleuth to know what your olfactory was telling you.
It sounds more like you have a leak somewhere, perhaps the carb breathers which could suggest a perforated diaphragm on one or more of the sliders.
You need to pull off your carbs and do a systematic check on all parts.
Blocked fuel filters in the carbs would be my second bet. If I"m thinking straight these are fitted under the float valves.
Check your manual and let the force be with you.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:26 PM

I might take the carbs off as a set and bring it in somewhere. I have zero knowledge of carbs and don't want to mess anything up.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Default Ugh

Replying from the side of the road here!

Died on the way to work, and will not start. I'm sure it will after 20 minutes, but what the hell is going on?

Now my question is, can I just take the carbs off and bring them to a dealer? Or do they need the bike there to sync them properly.

Sorry I don't know anything about these god damned carburetors.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Yes, you can take them off and take them to the dealer or other shop to have them rebuilt. If they do it correctly (and that's a big if), they'll make sure they know how many turns out the Idle Mixture screw is turned out from bottom so they can put it back. To ensure the carburetors are cleaned properly, the shop should completely take them apart. If you decide to go this route, I'd make a note of where the screws are myself That way when you get them back, you can check their work. The screws I'm talking about are the ones you can see when the carburetors are turned upside down and the screw head looks like a "D". You need a special bit that looks like this.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:16 PM

I need mine rebuilt. I was quoted around $200 for them the rebuild them

Quick Reply: Dies after hard acceleration