CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Clicking battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking battery?

Tried to start my bike today but it would not turn. Tried it a 2nd time and my battery is clicking =P

Dead battery or weak battery in need of charge?

Lights and horn is good.

Can I charge it with any battery tender? Thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 04:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not the battery that is clicking it is the starter/relay.

The battery sounds flat... charge it up and see what happens. Actually - before charging, is this a maintence type battery where you have to top up the levels? If it is, check the levels and top it up BEFORE you charge it.

A battery tender is a low amp charger. Low amps are best for motorcycle batteries (doesn't cook them to hell) so yes you can use a battery tender, it will just take a bit longer (because of the lower amp). Give it half an hour on the charger and see if it will start... if no change leave it another half hour. Repeat.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 AM

It sounds like a low battery but it could be a bad selonoid or starting the relay has died.

If it still clicks after a fully charged battery your relay is toast.

A new one for the F3 from Honda runs around $100.00 bucks, you can find generic relays much cheaper on ebay.

A plus here is that Honda used the same relay on just about every model they make that has a battery and starter and finding a replacement should be an easy find.

Newer Honda relays toss the old flat metal wire 30 amp fuse for the new style 30 amp type push in plastic automotive fuse so that type of relay will work just fine on your old bike.

SIRR1

BTW you can start the bike if the relay has died by jumping the relay.

With the bikes key on, jump the positive battery in wire to the relay to the starter wire out of the relay, this will take 12v power from the battery and turn the starter over and start the bike...Not the best thing to do but this will get you home if the relay dies on the road.

SIRR1

Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by SIRR1
It sounds like a low battery but it could be a bad selonoid or starting the relay has died.

If it still clicks after a fully charged battery your relay is toast.

A new one for the F3 from Honda runs around $100.00 bucks, you can find generic relays much cheaper on ebay.

A plus here is that Honda used the same relay on just about every model they make that has a battery and starter and finding a replacement should be an easy find.

Newer Honda relays toss the old flat metal wire 30 amp fuse for the new style 30 amp type push in plastic automotive fuse so that type of relay will work just fine on your old bike.

SIRR1

BTW you can start the bike if the relay has died by jumping the relay.

With the bikes key on, jump the positive battery in wire to the relay to the starter wire out of the relay, this will take 12v power from the battery and turn the starter over and start the bike...Not the best thing to do but this will get you home if the relay dies on the road.

SIRR1

dam thank you both u guys rock. Im almost done tuning up my bike cant wait to show you all

do u guys know what could have caused this? My father says that the battery got weak because I kept starting it everyday but never taking it for a ride (its been raining all week). And also cuz the battery is 13 years old. Any ideas? thanks!

it was working fine before! No problems with start up! this just happened

Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Your dad's a smart man. Starting the bike is about the most strain you can put on the battery. It's not a big deal since normally after you start it, you go riding. Normal riding has the engine running at enough rpm's to charge the battery again in a few minutes. Idle speed just doesn't generate enough power to charge the battery back up. Several times of starting and not going anywhere will drain the battery easily. If you get it started and go out for a ride around town, you'll probably going to be fine. If your battery is really that old, then that's a miracle in itself and should be replaced anyhow.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by idodirt
Your dad's a smart man. Starting the bike is about the most strain you can put on the battery. It's not a big deal since normally after you start it, you go riding. Normal riding has the engine running at enough rpm's to charge the battery again in a few minutes. Idle speed just doesn't generate enough power to charge the battery back up. Several times of starting and not going anywhere will drain the battery easily. If you get it started and go out for a ride around town, you'll probably going to be fine. If your battery is really that old, then that's a miracle in itself and should be replaced anyhow.
wow thanks so much. you assessed the situation very well. That's exactly what I was doing and it was my mistake. I will definitely replace the battery asap.

Is there a certain type of battery I must get? I am unsure of the specifications the battery needs and my manual does not say much about the latter. Thanks again guys

Old 05-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
wow thanks so much. you assessed the situation very well. That's exactly what I was doing and it was my mistake. I will definitely replace the battery asap.

Is there a certain type of battery I must get? I am unsure of the specifications the battery needs and my manual does not say much about the latter. Thanks again guys
http://cgi.ebay.com/UTX9-YTX9-BS-CYT...ayphotohosting

has anyone ever used the UTX9 battery from Adventure group? They are very inexpensive but will it hurt my bike not using a yuasa battery? The UTX9 is the same as the YTX9 in my bike, just different brand. But is it risky going with this other brand?

here are the specs of both:

http://www.apexbattery.com/yuasa-ytx...batteries.html

http://www.apexbattery.com/exide-9-b...batteries.html

thanks again bros

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

I don't see where it would hurt to go with another brand. I'm sure there is more than one person that's gone to Walmart or someplace like that to get a replacement battery. If it has essentially the same dimensions and specifications, I wouldn't give it another thought. I know many riders have gone to GEL cells. Look at ebay item number: 120388626956. Not a bad price either.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by idodirt
I don't see where it would hurt to go with another brand. I'm sure there is more than one person that's gone to Walmart or someplace like that to get a replacement battery. If it has essentially the same dimensions and specifications, I wouldn't give it another thought. I know many riders have gone to GEL cells. Look at ebay item number: 120388626956. Not a bad price either.
thanks a lot idodirt you helped me many times

I charged the battery and it fired right up! worked! woo hoo! ty all

CASE CLOSED

Old 06-13-2009, 03:48 PM

If your battery is Knock-Out, go for a Yuasa YTX9BS. My F3's one has lasted 9 years, without using battery tender.

Quick Reply: Clicking battery?