CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

charging system ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much would it be to replace the r/r and the ignition module

Old 03-08-2009, 12:18 AM

$50 or $100 for the r/r, depending on whether you get the aftermarket Chinese one or the Honda. and the ignition module runs anywhere between $20 to $200 on ebay, swap meets or here on the forum. lots of guys wire up gsxr r/r's too.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 AM

the ignition module is either good or bad, it doesn't go in and out. if your bike runs, the ignition module is good. it's the same deal with the pick up, it either works or it doesn't. having a spare ignition is just a good idea because it's small and easy to replace and if it decides to stop working, you are either walking or staring at your bike until your buddy shows up with a truck. you don't realize how much sitting on the side of the road really sucks until you are doing it.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:03 AM

I had the same problem with my bike. Riding around town then it just went dead. My battery was dead and I need a new R/R. Then one time my fuel pump went out on me once again ridding around and lucky for me I was close to a bike shop so I limped it over there. If you have a brand new or charged battery let you bike warm up for a few minutes while its running check your voltage at you battery terminal you should be getting 13 volts with your headlight on. If you are not getting at least in the high 12 volt range then you have a problem. With you bike warmed up and the fairing removed place you fingers on the fuel pump and feel it pulsing. If it is not pulsing strong then you need to replace it. You will be able to tell if its weak by the way it pulses. See you don't need that mechanic all you need is here because we have all be through these same problems.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:24 AM

See mine died on me on the highway... Left like it bogged down.... I let it sit for and min it wouldnt start would just crank....So i let it for awhile longer and got it to start but only with the choke on... let it sit running for awhile and it went about another mile and it dided again... Cranked it for alil then the battery went dead... SO i called for a trailer got it home and put it on a charger.... Let it sit for bout 3 hours on a charger started right up about 10 times.... waited till the next day n out all the fairings and seat back on fired right up let it sit for 10 mins n went on down the road got about 1 miles down my street and it died would start again... Now all the bike does is crank

Old 03-08-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by lilpakastain239
How do i figure out if it the fuel pump gone bad or the voltage regulator

Simple, remove both rear side panels, seat and tank. At the base of the plastic air box you will find the 2 fuel lines that T off the main fuel line coming from from the fuel pump.

Remove the fuel line coming from the pump at the T.

Place the end of the hose in some type of container.

Turn the ignition key to on and hit the starter button a few times, fuel should pump in the container if the unit is operational.

SIRR1

Old 03-08-2009, 12:26 PM

would the fuel pump not workin not let the bike start

Old 03-08-2009, 12:27 PM

not necessarily, i had a pump that would pump but couldn't keep up when riding harder. the pump still worked it was just weak as ****. id say shell out some cash put a new one on and be done with it already. thats the joy of old bikes, you do have to fix them

Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 PM

yea i just dont want to get one and that be it... I dont have alot of money im only 20

Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 PM

I just ordered a new r/r I hope that does the trick I got a big ride planned from Jersey to Hampton, Va in april and I need everything up and running.

Quick Reply: charging system ???