CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

chain and sprockets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chain and sprockets?

ok so i just bought a 96 F3 that's in desperate need of a new chain. so i ordered the chain and sprockets (one down and one up) but i can't find ANYTHING in the manual about changing the sprockets. i'm pretty mechanically inclined, so i'm sure i can figure it out, but i just wondered if any of you guys had any helpful advice as to what's involved. so far i'm familiar with taking the rear wheel and fairings off with no problem... where do i go from there?

Old 10-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: chain and sprockets?

You'd need a shop manual for all the details such as torque for the rear sprocket nuts and the counter sprocket bolt. It's pretty much straight forward -- take off the front sprocket bolt first. That way you can use the rear brake to hold it still while you loosen the bolt. Then loosen the chain slack adjusters and remove the axle.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:27 AM

bla who uses a shop manual i mean really....... personally i didn't use a shop manual i just made sure i got them nice and tight and then i rode it about 2 hours and checked them again and then again after about a week but that's just me... as for everything else i think it was just said my chainstretcher......

Old 10-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Here is a link to download the shop manual.

Removing the sprocket is in section 13-3.

Good luck!

https://cbrforum.com/m_4685/tm.htm

Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 PM

ORIGINAL: 1badf3

bla who uses a shop manual i mean really....... personally i didn't use a shop manual
IMHO, this is really BAD advice. Torque values are assigned for a reason. Too tight can be just as bad as not tight enough. If you want to take your own life in your own hands, that's your perogative....but you shouldn't be encouraging others to do such. [sm=smiley21.gif]

Old 10-19-2005, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: 1badf3

bla who uses a shop manual i mean really....... personally i didn't use a shop manual i just made sure i got them nice and tight and then i rode it about 2 hours and checked them again and then again after about a week but that's just me... as for everything else i think it was just said my chainstretcher......
Don't wanna start a witch hunt, but kinda have to agree with Abadfish. I mean all of us DIYYers have done trial and error on more than one occasion, but using that as a common practice is just not smart. What would have happened if after 1 hour and 35 minutes the friggin wheel decided to fall off while doing 135mph?!?! IMHO when it comes to riding a machine that has an engine the is revving at 10,000+RPM going a bamillion MPH, it is not a bad idea to follow the shop manual.

Please try not to trip over my soap box on the way out...

Old 10-19-2005, 07:00 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm too egotistical to lose my life over something stoopid -- I use the torque values assigned by Honda.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Torque??? I GOOD mechanic can look at the bolt size, the thread size, the material and know how much torque it can take. Maybe for a head you should torque it but sprocket bolts... come on. If you take it to a shop they will not torque them. But if it makes you sleep better at night go for it. If you are in question just torque them to spec or a little more. Torque wrenches can be off by more than 10%. Threads and bolts can take alot more than what the spec is. When I build an engine I only torque the head and crank. Everything else is feel.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:21 AM

ORIGINAL: transamlt1man

If you take it to a shop they will not torque them.
You need to find a better shop then.

Old 10-20-2005, 06:18 AM

alright well thanks for the advice guys. of course i'm gonna use the torque values i'm not that dumb. and i've got the manual it just doesn't really give much information, just wasn't sure if there were any special tools involved and whatnot. i have a cutoff wheel to cut the chain off, and i'm assuming that will be adequate and i won't need a chain breaker.

Quick Reply: chain and sprockets?