CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Chain broke...Now won't shift

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain broke...Now won't shift

Hey guys, just bought my first bike not too long ago.
It's a 96 CBR 600 F3 and i love it!
I was cruising up the highway and really got on it in 3rd (I think) and my tach wasn't working at the time (that's another story/thread), but I know I was fairly high in the RPMs ~ 10k or so. I went to shift into 4th and BAM worst sounding shift I've ever heard. I was likely going around 70 or 75 as I didn't look at the speedo but had a complete loss of power.
Pulled over to see that my chain was gone and after getting the bike home it now won't shift out of the gear that it's in. Is that just because there's no chain on the bike??(wishful thinking I know) Or is it something worse...?

Also still haven't bought a new chain yet so any info on which one I should get would be appreciated. I don't want a cheapo POS chain but I don't want to spend money that I don't need to. The bike has 22k miles and I assume it was the stock chain and sprockets. Do I need to replace those too?

Thank you if you were able to read this far and I appreciate any and all comments.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM

I would try starting the bike and seeing if revving it a little helps you get out of gear. Sometimes when neutral is hard to find, revving helps. If your bike won't start while in gear, try rocking the sprocket back and forth while trying to go back to neutral. I honestly don't know what can be damaged by a snapping chain. Be glad that **** didn't somehow jam your rear wheel into a skid!

As far as sprockets go, if they are "hooked" or in any way pointed, you should replace them. Look at where the chain engages them (the back of the tooth) for any abnormal signs. Good luck!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Before you start it, remove the front countershaft sprocket cover. Make sure there are no "parts" stuck in there. Also, check to see if there are any cracks or holes in the case. I would then remove the timing cover to see if you can spin the motor. Replace the cover. After checking that and the motor turns over, I would start the bike with the clutch disengaged then slowly release to see if it trys to spin the countershaft.

Last edited by Duck62; 03-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 PM

I now believe it's only a problem because I don't have the chain on....
When I put a little pressure on the shifter downward and then spun the sprocket a little bit it clicked down a gear really easily once I moved the sprocket. I did it again and again till I found neutral, started her up and she runs fine just like she always had. Hopefully when I get my new chain/sprockets on it'll be like nothin ever happened.
Feeling very lucky that I didn't get my rear tire locked up, my crank case cracked or my leg cut off!!

Again thanks for the help if it isn't working right with a new chain I'll post again and follow your suggestions.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014

Wow, lucky break there!

How was your chain tightness? In spec, or had you checked it?