CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   Cbr f3 600 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/cbr-f3-600-a-157637/)

Patrick7 05-22-2018 06:53 PM

Cbr f3 600

I have this 98 Smokin joe; thing was laid up for a bit, took carbs off and cleaned, and put back together, thing started no problem. Three weeks later, now it won’t start. Took carbs off, cleaned again, thing still won’t start. I don’t get how three weeks ago it started no issues, I move it to part of shed for three weeks and now nothing. Cleaned carbs again, checked plugs, all good! So what’s going on? I changed fuel filter, checked pump, still can’t get it going, any help? Any ideas?

regener8ed 05-22-2018 06:57 PM

check the kill switch? i've been bitten by that more than once.

hamlin6 05-22-2018 07:00 PM

When you say that you have nothing, does that mean the engine turn over but won't fire or does it mean that the engine doesn't do anything when you press the start button?
Do the guages light up?

Patrick7 05-22-2018 07:07 PM

Gauges light up, bike turns over, will occasionally backfire but won’t catch

Patrick7 05-22-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6 (Post 1314585)
When you say that you have nothing, does that mean the engine turn over but won't fire or does it mean that the engine doesn't do anything when you press the start button?
Do the guages light up?

it turns over, lights up, but won’t catch, backfire occasionally but won’t start

hamlin6 05-22-2018 07:11 PM

I would bypass the fuel pump to see if it's clogged.
Does it make any difference if you have choke engaged?

Patrick7 05-22-2018 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6 (Post 1314589)
I would bypass the fuel pump to see if it's clogged.
Does it make any difference if you have choke engaged?

took the line off pump, it’s still squirting fuel, so don’t think that is issue. I’m literally stumped on this thing

hamlin6 05-23-2018 08:56 AM

Let's get primitive with this. There are 3 things required to cause fire: oxygen, fuel and heat.

You are confident that fuel is being delivered to the fire pit (carbs). That leaves oxygen, heat, or the fire pit itself. Are you certain that the air passage isn't blocked? If so, your heat is the next thing to check. Spark plugs are pretty simple to inspect. One plug at a time, remove the plug, leaving it connected to the boot and insure the threads are solidly against the frame. When you press the start button, you should see arc across the plug lead. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, there are simple tools you can buy that you install inline with the plug wire. it lights a light when you press the button if everything is good.
If it's not any of those things, then your carbs. They can be very finicky.

Patrick7 05-23-2018 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6 (Post 1314612)
Let's get primitive with this. There are 3 things required to cause fire: oxygen, fuel and heat.

You are confident that fuel is being delivered to the fire pit (carbs). That leaves oxygen, heat, or the fire pit itself. Are you certain that the air passage isn't blocked? If so, your heat is the next thing to check. Spark plugs are pretty simple to inspect. One plug at a time, remove the plug, leaving it connected to the boot and insure the threads are solidly against the frame. When you press the start button, you should see arc across the plug lead. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, there are simple tools you can buy that you install inline with the plug wire. it lights a light when you press the button if everything is good.
If it's not any of those things, then your carbs. They can be very finicky.

plugs are good and I cleaned carbs twice! Like I said it ran beautiful three weeks ago. But your right, it’s simple mechanics, fire, fuel, air, combustion. I’ll try carbs again and see what’s goin on. Really annoyed with this thing now

hamlin6 05-23-2018 04:15 PM

I have an f3 also. The carbs, when clean and dialed in are awesome. But they can be tough to get that way, especially the cleaning part. The passages in there are so tiny that the smallest thing can clog something.
But what's odd with your situation is that it barely fires. Usually it will either want to start or start and run like garbage.