CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   Cbr 600 f3 98 display change. (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/cbr-600-f3-98-display-change-148908/)

Ohnils 09-01-2013 02:19 PM

Cbr 600 f3 98 display change.

Hi.

I would like to swap out my original speedo/tacho dispaly,but when i tried to disconnect it my bike did not work.it had something about the 20km wire that controls the air valve thing.

How can i bypass this cabel or are there any other way to make it work without the original dispaly???

Please help..

Will.Bass 09-02-2013 03:54 PM

you have to have gauges connected for the bike to run..if you want to do a honda gauge swap..search on the forum for a f4i gauge swap..or look for compatible street fighter gauges..

cgmiller8390 09-09-2013 04:37 PM

Are you planning on the F4I gauge swap? If so, when you do that you add a jumper wire to kill the air valve control in the gauge connector.

Will.Bass 09-10-2013 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by cgmiller8390 (Post 1249910)
Are you planning on the F4I gauge swap? If so, when you do that you add a jumper wire to kill the air valve control in the gauge connector.

and why would you suggest that he does that? unless his air solenoid valve is inop, there is no need to bypass it..

ambeos5 09-11-2013 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Will.Bass (Post 1250073)
and why would you suggest that he does that? unless his air solenoid valve is inop, there is no need to bypass it..

there is a how to on bypassing that air valve on here somewere i did it, it did not involve me changing any wiring when i swaped out for the F4I gauges just some re arranging of air hoses at the air cleaner so the bike would run from the air in the ram at all times, but really unless the valve is bad(mine was) there is no use in deleting it i didnt see any improvment.

cgmiller8390 09-11-2013 04:12 PM

The stock gauges control the air valve to open/close at 20mph. If you do the gauge swap and don't do the jumper or the hose mod, it can have trouble running under 20mph.

Racers delete the air control valve to save on weight.

cgmiller8390 09-11-2013 04:29 PM

If you have the service manual take a look at the electrical diagram. The air control valve relay has a wire labeled P (pink). The wire goes to the speedo part of the gauge. At 20mph it controls the power flow to the coil inside the relay to either open or close the circuit.

Will.Bass 09-12-2013 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by ambeos5 (Post 1250143)
there is a how to on bypassing that air valve on here somewere i did it, it did not involve me changing any wiring when i swaped out for the F4I gauges just some re arranging of air hoses at the air cleaner so the bike would run from the air in the ram at all times, but really unless the valve is bad(mine was) there is no use in deleting it i didnt see any improvment.

exactly what im saying..unless its bad,there is no reason to bypass or delete.

cgmiller8390 09-12-2013 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Will.Bass (Post 1250263)
exactly what im saying..unless its bad,there is no reason to bypass or delete.

Ok first off I was wrong about the mph at which the air valve open and closes. I said 20mph but its really opens and closes at 12mph or 20km/h.

Here is a list of problems that can happen if you don't do the hose mod or jumper mod.

Engine hard to start.
Engine doesn't idle.
Engine stalls, rough idle at warm engine.

The air valve supplies air to the carbs bypassing the air box.

ambeos5 09-12-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by cgmiller8390 (Post 1250275)
Ok first off I was wrong about the mph at which the air valve open and closes. I said 20mph but its really opens and closes at 12mph or 20km/h.

Here is a list of problems that can happen if you don't do the hose mod or jumper mod.

Engine hard to start.
Engine doesn't idle.
Engine stalls, rough idle at warm engine.

The air valve supplies air to the carbs bypassing the air box.

On the flip side of that if the air valve goes bad you will be starving your bike of air which can lead to alot of problems. If he is going with aftermarket gauges he will have to do one of the mentioned mods the easier one is just to get rid of the valve all together i guess. But if he is keeping the F3 gauges and the valve is in working order, dont fix what isnt broken. On the F4I gauges there is a pink wire that can be used to keep the valve open at all times. far as i know those would be the only options.leave it, bypass it or delete it all depends on what gauges he will run.