CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Carbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs

My stupid carbs are overflowing and I don't know why!

I cleaned the carbs 2 weeks ago because they were overflowing, replaced the pilot jets because 2 were had the tops broken (which wouldn't cause leak, just did it because), I put the carbs on, started the bike and the carbs are flooding from the float bowls again... so again I pulled apart the carbs, this time I even seperated them to clean inbetween, pulled out the choke jets (they were always hard to move), replaced the float valves and started her up today and again they're flooding...

WHAT AM I MISSING?!

I was able to start her today, from starter fluid and limiting the amount of petrol going in the carbs and she's running, but not idling correctly, so it looks like the idle jet... can't be sure... I cleaned them :\

Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 PM

I cleaned them for the third time now... and it's only overflowing from 3 and 4 now (not sure which, could be just 1, could be both.)

I was able to run it though by limiting the petrol and warm it up a little (161f @ 1.1k rpm) but when I try to rev the bike a little it boggs down almost to the point where the bike dies... so it's telling me there's something still stuck somewhere in the carbs. When I turn choke on it'll bog down slightly for a second and then idle at 4k... thinking I'll take them carbs off again and re re re re clean it

Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

When you say it's flooding from the float bowls, what exactly are you saying ? Where do you see fuel coming from ? Pictures would help a lot. As our bikes age, the "O" rings on the fuel line "T" fittings between the carbs go bad and they leak. It's hard to see where it's coming from since it's inbetween the carburetors. Does it start leaking as soon as you turn on the fuel, or only when it's started ?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 AM

a few second after I start it there will be gas coming from the T between carb 3 and 4 where the petrol goes in... the cleaning seems to help it's getting better, and it's only slightly leaking now unlike before where it was POOOURing out. I figured there was something in the float needle hole that wasn't allowing it to close properly... but after that many cleans, not sure it's possible. The float needles are brand new, just replaced them all yesterday.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM

you know what, scratch that, it's not better, I came into my garage today to hook up petrol and when I did it flooded my carbs completely and my cylinder... it's as if the floats are not working at all :\

Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Have you checked float levels? Their not adjustable on these carbs but if they're out then you need new floats..

Old 04-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kerosene
a few second after I start it there will be gas coming from the T between carb 3 and 4 where the petrol goes in... the cleaning seems to help it's getting better, and it's only slightly leaking now unlike before where it was POOOURing out. I figured there was something in the float needle hole that wasn't allowing it to close properly... but after that many cleans, not sure it's possible. The float needles are brand new, just replaced them all yesterday.
You need to replace these. Have you split the carburetors from each other ? These go in between them. The one on the left is fuel and the right is air. If you've cleaned the carbs with them still racked together, then the carb cleaner will damage the "O" rings on these "T"'s.

Name:  DSC04142.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  41.8 KB

Last edited by IDoDirt; 04-28-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 PM

I do, I've cleaned them and split them apart, problem is the overflow first occured on a whimb after pulling it from the garage after 2mths storage.

Do I have to buy the OEM o rings or can I get jus any o rings that fit?

I have an Auxillary gas tank (one of those external tanks that you hang from a hook, made by motionpro), is it possible it's causing too much pressure? my carbs overflowed with the bike off, the pump wasn't even priming.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what the specifications are for the O rings. I have a standard kit I picked up at an auto parts store, but none of the were the exact size as what is on the carbs. I guess the difference between Standard and Metric dimensions. I put in OEM.

Yes, if the tank is too high, you can overpower the float valves and cause flooding of the carbs.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I don't know what the specifications are for the O rings. I have a standard kit I picked up at an auto parts store, but none of the were the exact size as what is on the carbs. I guess the difference between Standard and Metric dimensions. I put in OEM.
I see, I have a similar kit, I believe it's metric though.

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Yes, if the tank is too high, you can overpower the float valves and cause flooding of the carbs.
Ugh... **** me... I could have been causing the problem... *facepalm*

Quick Reply: Carbs