CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb questions

Ok to start off i havent been able to ride my bike in the past year due to my job and living situation and the bikes been sitting in my garage, so i figured it could use a good carb cleaning because of the time its sat there, so now that ive got free time ive gone out and tried to start the bike, but she wont fire up, killed my old battery, so anyways, it used to spit and sputter like hesitation between 2k and 2.5k/2.7k rpms last year, would that be due to the carbs not allowin fuel through, and my last question ive got the lower, and rear fairings off, the tank is off, and ive got all the lower boot clamps loosened, and i cant for the life of me get the carbs off, the air box is off, the lower air box where the stacks are is off, and ive disconnected the hose's from the upper carb area, but no matter how much i pull, and yank the carbs wont budge, ive got the clymer's manual and ive been following along with it, but it seems like the rubber boots are stuck the to the cylinder, any help would be appreciated, thanks

Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 PM

Sounds like they definitely need a good cleaning. And they can be a total b!tch to get off if they haven't been removed for a while. The best thing to do is get motor to operating temp before trying to remove them. But in your case, that may be impossible. Will it run if you spray some carb cleaner down the throats? See if you can get it to start by doing that. If it fires up, rig up a temporary gas tank (like off a lawnmower or something) and let bike idle for a few minutes. It makes a HUGE difference trying to get them off. Other than that, all you can do is push/pull/wiggle and cuss like hell.
Just had another thought. If you can't get bike to idle, try a heat lamp on the boots. I've also used a hair dryer in a pinch. Both will work.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 AM

well i do have a heat gun, and alot of other miscellaneous tools that ive bought since i was in highschool and after i graduated, was planning on goin into the automotive profession after i graduated, but i fell in love with bikes which through me off course a lil bit.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is that the carb insulators have lost their elasticity due to just being old. I have had to use a cherry picker and some straps to get carbs off. Just ran some straps through the center and then hooked them up the hoist. A couple pumps and the carbs began to lift off. From that point, I was able to just pull the carbs off.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM

ok well i dont have access to a cherry picker at the moment but i do have an over head chain hoist that's been sittin in the corner of my garage, i know it works because i used it on my old car, i'll just have to reattach it to the i beam

Old 07-22-2010, 05:21 PM

ok so i got the carbs off, and have already torn them all down, did them one at a time, now the funny thing, i checked all the needles, the floats, jets, and springs, and everything was clean, i about died. when i bought the bike, she had a slight hesitation so i didnt think anything of it, the guy i bought it off of had really taken well care of it, he never changed the oil himself, he had receipts from his local honda dealer for every oil change/ maintenance. so now im puttin the carbs back on, and im gonna drain the gas tank. Im gonna run some new gas through her, i dont trust the gas cans in my garage, never know whats in them, so wish me luck im off to get some gas

Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 PM

did you at least soak the jets in some sea foam or carb cleaner while you had them out? did you clean that idle jet, the one you cant remove? replace the spark plugs too cause im sure you flooded her when you tried to start it originally.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM

Also with the pilot jets and fuel screws removed, spray carb cleaner down pilot jet hole while plugging fuel screw hole with your finger...cleaner should spray out tiny hole in throat just in front of butterfly.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:21 PM

Guitar string

Old 07-22-2010, 10:19 PM

yup jets were soaked in sea foam, the carbs were completely disassembled cleaned thoroughly even tho they looked clean, so every thing is put back together other than the tank, the tank is being suspended above the bike with temp fuel lines run down to the bike

Quick Reply: Carb questions