CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Cam chain tensioner problems ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Cam chain tensioner problems ...

So I guess mine will probably be alright for a long while as I always ride very sympathetically .. I never red line or go much over 9 - 10 K .. I ride mainly around the 6 - 8 k mark which is brisk enough for me these days ...

Jules

Old 05-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've riden the pretty hard on mine and I went with the OEM because it is literally walk away when you've installed it. The manual... well it's manual. You have to adjust the tension once it is installed. I've seen someone with a manual over tighten it and the cam chain failed. You can guess what happened from there.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc you're fighting a failed fight.

If you can't hand-turn a bolt until your engine stops rattling, then tighten a lock nut on top of it - then you should park your bike and hang up the helmet.

The fact that you argue in favor of the OEM version proves you've never installed one therefore I have to believe you know only half the story...

Am I wrong? Not trying to be a dick, I'm just so dead serious. There is no reason to replace with OEM. There is NO advantage, only the disadvantage of knowing it can fail again. The manual can't fail, it's impossible.

And what do you know - they cost the same.

They have failed for 40+ years - why on earth would you replace it with the same poor design?

The only reason I can imagine Honda still manufactures those is simply because from the standpoint of mass producing vehicles to meet the riding needs of such a broad spectrum of buyers, it is necessary to have in place from the factory a system that can meet ALL those needs. I bet your *** Honda expects any buyer of a performance motorcycle to replace their stockCCT, it just doesn't make sense not to.

Okay, I'm done with the CCT talk...

Old 05-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wasn't really trying to argumentative. I was just saying that a manual CCT is not fail (idiot) proof. But then again, is anything idiot proof? If that was the case, I guess America would just make better idiots then. Anywho, my main point was that there is a little more caution that has to be taken with the manual CCT... that and some of us are lazy and just want to walk away . But yes, I have put in 3 CCTs which like you said is about a 10 minute job.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I'd consider my wife a fairly conservative rider on her F3. She's currently got 33K miles on hers and still on the original CCT. You'll probably be fine for some time to come.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:04 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: idodirt

I'd consider my wife a fairly conservative rider on her F3. She's currently got 33K miles on hers and still on the original CCT. You'll probably be fine for some time to come.
Oh good ... it was kinda what I was hoping to hear :-) .. I mean I do have the occasional blast to 10 -11 K on a long straight but the majority of my riding is just a brisk but very smooth ride ... I am also fastidious about oil changes too .. I nurse the bike from cold and never wind it up until the temp gauge shows normal ..

So what actually wears here?? .. is it the tensioner itself or the chain and the tensioner is unable to compensate ... I would have thought the chain running in an ideal environment of no dirt and clean oil would not wear that much?? ..

Jules

Old 06-03-2008, 12:04 AM

I personally can understand both sides of this subject, oem and manual. Marc0011 your right about lazy folks just installing and walking away, and kidcr3nshaw it is very easy to just adjust the nut until the sound go's away. But really it's all about personal prefrence. I personally have a manual cct, for one simple reason, just like when I'm riding, I have complete control over that bike, now I have control over that rattle!

Old 06-03-2008, 01:48 AM

i have 21k and no problems yet, i used to do atleast 130 mph + everyday butwould never let the throttle snap back.if/ when it does go outim going for the manual cct never lazy when it comes to my bike