CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bone Dry?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009 | 12:09 PM
|

Happened AGAIN!

Old 09-06-2009 | 12:14 PM

first thing you have to do is fix your slip on. your bike looks so nice then that thing is on sideways

Old 09-07-2009 | 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

If your tank is empty, then your fuel petcock is either not working right, or the fuel **** is on incorrectly. If you look at the ****, it has a little pointer on it. When the **** is rotated fully counter clockwise, it should be pointed to the ON position. If yours is not like that, then the **** is on wrong. If it is like that, and you're running out of fuel while in the ON postion, then I suspect that the "Snorkel" tube that is attached to the petcock inside your tank may have fallen off. It's easy to remove the fuel petcock from the tank when it's empty. Just unscrew the big nut that holds it on after removing the fuel line and it comes straight out of the tank. It's a snug fit as you remove it because the fuel screen that is around the snorkle tube. If there is no snorkel tube when you remove the fuel petcock, then that's your problem. The length of the snorkel tube is what determines how much fuel you use when the petcock is in the ON postion. When you turn it to RES, it takes fuel from the lowest point in the tank. You should be able to determine what your problem is once you remove the petcock from the tank.

Old 09-07-2009 | 09:44 PM
|

Originally Posted by willduce
first thing you have to do is fix your slip on. your bike looks so nice then that thing is on sideways
The rear footpeg was bent in and the previous owner jimmied it up poorly. I replaced the bracket and its a little more straight.

Old 09-08-2009 | 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by DINI22
The rear footpeg was bent in and the previous owner jimmied it up poorly. I replaced the bracket and its a little more straight.
Hard to say for sure, but looking at the pics in your album it looks like the pipe is put on crooked. You can see the tailpipe is pointing out to the side instead of straight down and back from the front of the bike.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/album.php...pictureid=4809

Looking from the rear of the bike, the pipe should be loosened and rotated clockwise inside of mounting sleeve on the rear peg so that it essentially points down when the bike is upright. That should straighten out your pipe, cuz it looks a little silly the way its protruding right now! Very easy fix, hope it helps...

(All this assuming it's still that way since you fixed the footpeg)

Old 09-08-2009 | 02:35 PM

You can't just "spin" that exhaust. If you do that, it'll move the whole muffler in kindof a circle, and require the footpeg to be not bent. He should buuy a new footpeg, that exhaust looks hilarious.

Old 09-09-2009 | 10:30 AM
|

Originally Posted by johnnyx
You can't just "spin" that exhaust. If you do that, it'll move the whole muffler in kindof a circle, and require the footpeg to be not bent. He should buuy a new footpeg, that exhaust looks hilarious.
-not only does it look hilarious, its pretty lame. I'm straight up broke right now, so It will have to do. I tried rotating it but the midpipe turns also and hits the frame. It was resting on the frame until I fixed that rear peg. Now I have about 1/4in of space between them.

Old 09-11-2009 | 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by idodirt
If your tank is empty, then your fuel petcock is either not working right, or the fuel **** is on incorrectly. If you look at the ****, it has a little pointer on it. When the **** is rotated fully counter clockwise, it should be pointed to the ON position.
So "down" is "ON" and "up" is "reserve", correct? Mine's painted over and this has been absurdly difficult to determine online (hours of searching, looking at service manual, etc).

thanks,

- reid

Old 09-11-2009 | 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by reid
So "down" is "ON" and "up" is "reserve", correct? Mine's painted over and this has been absurdly difficult to determine online (hours of searching, looking at service manual, etc).

thanks,

- reid

YES. It's funny how often this gets asked. My fav is the guy who bought one that was labelled in Japanese, and he had the same problem.

Last edited by johnnyx; 09-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2009 | 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
YES. It's funny how often this gets asked. My fav is the guy who bought one that was labelled in Japanese, and he had the same problem.
I know, you'd think it would be an easy Q, right? But there are no markings behind the fairings, either.

Several google searches from forums said up for the F3, but one said down.

I found a few resources that indicated that it changed between the F2 and the F3, but nothing to confirm that for sure.

An F2 rider friend told me 'down', which made me think the several resources I found that said "up" for the F3 were correct.

But I've been running it on "up" mode and have put in as much as 4.1 gallons... !

I'll run right out and change it to down now

One more Q.. did Honda recommend 87 octane or premium? I've been running premium as an assumption due the 12:1 CR but my searches are leading me to believe that not even the F4 requires premium. So I just put in some regular at my fillup this morning. We'll see how it runs and if I get any pinging.

Quick Reply: Bone Dry?