CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

bike won't run right

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike won't run right

I got my bike running great. i took it around town and didn't have any problems. i took it out for the first ride up to speed. i hit about 70 and it started to bog down. wouldn't keep going. i slowed down and down shifted and it just kept dying. i pulled over and it died. i tried to start it again but it wouldn't fire. i finally killed the battery. i got it trailered home, hooked up the charger and it fired right up. what could it be?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bike won't run right

It sounds like the common problem with the regulator, it happens it seems to all F3's at some stage. They overheat & the bike only runs on the voltage from the battery, When they cool back down, they work. Eventually though, they will give up the ghost & die.
There has been a fix here with replacing them with one from a GSXR Suzuki (do a search for it on the site). I had mine done with a heavy duty replacement unit.
There can be other problems with the same symptoms (like the alternator) Its worth noting that when & if you get the voltage output checked, the bike should have just done a run as the reg usually only shows up this fault (before it dies altogether) when its hot. Don't make the mistake & think your battery is at fault.