CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike turning but wont fire, had a few quick fires then just turns

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 05:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike turning but wont fire, had a few quick fires then just turns

Hey,

I have a 98 CBR 600 F and I left the light on a few nights ago.
Fully charged up the battery and put it back in today but the bike is just turning over and every now and again its getting a quick fire, but it wont fire enough to start up.

I was trying to bump start it before and it worked about 3 times and I was trying to get the revs up over 5k to charge the battery on the bike but it wouldnt go above 1k, jsut not enough power.

I don't know if I could have flooded it?

Any other ideas on what could be wrong? If it is firing up a few times I dont think its the rec/stat?
Just got this last week so still don't know much about it to be honest but had a VFR 400 before it.

Cheers!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 AM
Default RE: Bike turning but wont fire, had a few quick fires then just turns

Forgot to include - There is petrol going through, I can smell the petrol when I am trying to start it and its turning

Old 08-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so the bike was running fine up till the light on, so you actually left it with the ignition turned on.....Start with basic stuff for now, Turn the petrol off , let it sit for a couple of hours. Then, full choke, Don't turn the petrol on, dont use the throttle, hit the button, let it try & start itself without any encouragement from you blimping the throttle (even if it feels like its going to start) If this does not work, then try the flooded engine method. Leave the petrol off, full choke & full turn of the throttle, (Don't open & close the throttle, leave it fully turned on) hit the button.
In both cases don't give a wimp of a start (as in a couple seconds off pushing the button & then trying again) be brave. If this does not work, then I kind of get the feeling you have fried your Reg or Alt.
Good luck

Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 AM

Thanks, I will give that a go now and let you know how tit goes

Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 AM

tried both but no joy...also tried another few bump starts but no luck with that either. Its not even firing at all now. Starting to think the plugs..

Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 AM

I have had a F2 for close to 17 years now and i can tell you it is quite picky on sparkplugs, I am sure it will fire right up after you have replaced them.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:30 AM

thanks. I am having trouble getting the main fuel tube off the tank. I dont want to use anything to make it easier to slide off because it could help it come off when i dont want it to i managed to get the carb cover and air filter off but i think i will have to get the spark plugs? Are they easily taken out,just a cover and hex to screw them?
Thanks again!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 AM

just bumping this to check if anyone can tell me whats needed for removing the spark, I havent seen how they are in and if an extension or anything else is needed, I dont have the honda toolbox here.

I am removing the tank today, anyone else had a problem taking off the fuel tube? I dont want to use pliers in case I nip the tube but i couldnt get it to budge last time.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:30 AM

To take the tube off use some muscle man! Grab hold of the tube completely with your right hand; pull and twist. All it should take. (unless your really scrawny. =P )

As for it not firing... It sounds like your spark plugs. But I could be wrong. Non-the-less it wouldn't hurt to change them. It would require a 7/16ths spark plug remover socket with a 6inch extention + a 12inch swivel extention to a 3/8th ratchet. Should be able to get the job done with those if I remember correctly.

If you change your spark plugs and it doesn't fire still, I'd look into the Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. Common areas of retarded parts known for our bikes.

Good luck.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM

thanks for the reply. That tube was a right bitch.

Had to end up using a flat screwdriver to pry it off. Every other tube came off easily or with a bit of elbow grease.

I looked at the carbs and filters and they look fine so its down to the sparks now.

Im having trouble getting to them though....can anyone tell me what i should take off to get to them.
I already have the back fairings,tank and carb etc cover off so not sure if going through the top would be easiest.

Thanks again for all the help!

Quick Reply: Bike turning but wont fire, had a few quick fires then just turns