CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike Sputters at highway speeds, help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Sputters at highway speeds, help!!!

ok, my bike starts sputtering at about 7-8K rpm. It's not in every gear. It barely ever does it in third but every once in a while it will. My main problem is that in 4th gear i can't go past 7-8K, and if i try the bike will choke up (thats the best way to describe it) and slow down to about 40 mph until it gets any power back. sometimes if it starts doing it and i'm full throttle, i can back off the throttle to about 1/4 throttle and it will keep a steady speed.

I cannot cruise on the highway in anygear higher than 3rd! This is very frustrating! While it is fun sometimes it gets annoying.

My question is, what could this be? the bike seems to run fine and i don't have any problems whatsoever around town and on the twisties.

I took my bike into the shop to have it serviced and i wanted to get the carbs cleaned and adjusted, as well as making sure i'm at the right a/f mixture, and getting an oil change and new plugs. $450 later and it's still doing the same thing. The shop told me that the carbs were very clean and that they didn't need cleaning and that they were a little bit out of synch, which they fixed.

Now, with all of that being said. I think that the bike is getting too much air when on the highway at those speeds. I say this because i can be starting to get that choking feeling and hop behind a semi that blocks all of the air being forced into the carbs at that speed and it will cruise right up to redline, except for 6th gear.

Can anyone help me? This is really annoying and it's about to be riding season and i want to get this straightened out before i hit the streets again.

On a side note, if your not sure about anything, ask me and i'll try to be as detailed as possible so that i can get a better answer to my problem!

Sorry so long, and TIA!!!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:41 PM
Default RE: Bike Sputters at highway speeds, help!!!

13 hits and no replys? come on guys i need help badly! Just throw out any ideas you might have that could help me, anything that you think could be wrong!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:46 AM

WE NEED MORE INFO MATE!!!

Tell us the year, how many miles, etc. All the info you can give. I will respond.

Ender
Rival Riderz
Oceanside, CA

Old 03-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they check the in line fuel filter (I think your model has one), that can cause the symptoms your having. as for your idea about getting to much air, the only thing that comes to mind is the air box itself/air filter not being sealed properly, cause the bike is designed to have increased power via the direct -air intake, but is basically a sealed system. Air intake tubes not attached properly?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:18 AM

I will check the intake system later on today when i get a chance. But to answer the other persons question. The bike isa 95 cbr with an F2 motor swap in it. The speedo doesn't work so i'm guessing there is about 15-18k miles on it.

btw if i have an f2 motor where would my fuel filter be?

Old 03-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 95-98 models, its on the left side of the donk, just below the fuel pump, but because of the swap you probably won't have one.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 PM

I had a EX250 that did that and it turned out to be a clogged fuel filter.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM

ok i checked the intake system and the two tubes that connect the air box to the ram air weren't seated properly, so i fixed that.

I'm still having my problem tho, any other ideas?

Old 03-05-2008, 06:57 PM

just kindof throwing this out there, but are the ram air tubes clogged anywhere or blocked? I think I've heard somewhere that has caused this problem... I just though it was worth bringing up

Old 03-05-2008, 08:29 PM

the intake system is clear (nothing clogged) from the beginning of the ram air to the air box. any other ideas?

Quick Reply: Bike Sputters at highway speeds, help!!!