CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

BIKE IS F****ED I THINK

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIKE IS F****ED I THINK

OK here goes my first post and am hoping that I do not bore anyone. First time biker but, have owned a couple of bikes in my past that I never rode. Had been working in a garage for several years so, know a thing or two about motors, brakes, trannies, ect. Bought a 82 Nighthawk that was dead and rebuilt it before I sold it. Same with my custom 500. Currently own a 98 CBR 600 F3 that I want to keep and ride but, here starts my issues. Bought this bike from a guy in Oshawa Ontario for $800.00. The guy dumped it and broke the lower engine case. Bought a motor off of Ebay in which had 11,000 miles on it. The dude that sold me the motor stated that it needed the valve shims done. R & R the motor in place, cleaned the carbs, installed new plugs and wire, and a new battery. Fired her up and was able to get it running on the first try. A buddy who has been around bikes all his life told me that the shims were fine but, the automatic CCT has failed (supposable, F1-F3 are known for this issue). Removed the Automatic CCT and replaced with an APE Manual CCT and all HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE!!!!

Turned it in by hand till I felt tension. Turned it back by a 1/4 turn and started the bike. Had to hold the starter for almost 5 seconds before it started. Was noiser then ever so, I started to turn the tensioner in to set adjustment. The damn thing died on me before I could get it to set. Turned it out again and tried to start the bicke again. Since then, the damn thing will not start. Seems to have flooded the carbs and plugs. All I get is it trying to start and backfiring (this is with the CCT's bolt all the way out or tense on the chain). Checked time and it seems fine, IN and EX are lining up to were they should be at TDC.

Have no F****ing clue what has happen. Spoke to Honda and was told that the method I did, is the method they do when installing the manual CCT. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Took out the plugs and replaced them and changing the oil again so then gas is cleared but, can't figure out why it will not start now if the timing is fine. Did drain the battery and have recharged it.[&:][:@][>:][:'(]

Still don't know if the CCT was ever really bad or do I have to do the shims. It rattled all the time from idel to rev and back. As well, I think my girl turned the idel mixture screw on me why all this was happening. She like to touch things and I saw her turning something near the area. Which way should it be turned and is there away to set it up prior to the bike starting? Would this also be an issue (I know in a car it would be).

Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Default RE: BIKE IS F****ED I THINK

I guess I am the only one who has had this problem with there F3. Come on guys and gals, if anyone is able to help, that would be great.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:53 PM

well sounds to me that when you threw the new cct on, when you cranked down on it it knocked the timing off. just sounds to be out of time to me. if the old one was loose its possible that it had enough slack to get by where the timing was set but you are more than likely off now. just reset the cam timing and see what you come up with

Old 10-08-2008, 03:13 PM

when i installed mine,all i did was start the motor and turn the bolt in until it quieted up enough for my ears and locked it down.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:38 PM

you might have just anything. check the timing and take that off the list then move forward.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the info, I will check the timing as mentioned. If the timing is off, what is the proper way to set it? I know in a car, you set the timing by setting the cams and crank done by removing the timing chain, advancing the cams to set the timing points and then reinstalling the chain...missed a couple of the steps. But, never did a bike setup before.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Old 10-13-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the support on my issue. Timing was fine but, I did needed to redo the carbs (must not have cleaned them perfectly). As well, needed to do a shim job after all. 5 were on the loose side and one was really tight on the IN side. 2 were tight on the EX side. See sounds very quite and runs sweet now.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

How did you locate shims in just 4 days ? I had to order every one that I needed. The stealer didn't stock a single one of them.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:14 PM

i had to buy them between three honda dealers here in toronto ontario. plus, did not require everyone, was able to swap the ones between a few buckets and buy what i was not able to swap.