CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike died on me today

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike died on me today

So I thought I had a problem with a clogged jet, but I am not so sure now.

I left home and went about 2 miles, when the bike started bogging down, so I give it more and more gas and am staying at the same speed. Next thing I know it just sputters and died. So I coast into a nearby store parking lot and have it sitting there. I try putting on the choke and it actually fires up runs about 5 sec, and then dies tried it again, same story. Next tried w/ no choke, and wouldn't even turn over.

So I am sitting there for about 15 min trying to think what it could be, checking all the fluids etc, then decide to start it. It starts and seems to be running good. I then turn right around and start heading back home. I get back and the bike was just starting to bog down on me.

I am now confused as to what it is. It seems to be a fuel delivery problem. I took the fairings off and when the bike is running I put my hand on the fuel pump and it seems to be working, I could feel it clicking etc.. and seems to go faster the higher the revs.

Any ideas?

I thought it could be a clogged jet, but my carbs were just done like 4 months ago and if one were clogged, I doubt the bike would die, I think it would just be running rough.

Please help!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts
Default RE: Bike died on me today

If it seems like it's running out of gas, I'd be thinking Fuel Pump. The fuel pumps on these bikes are not high pressure high volume pumps like on fuel injected bikes and cars. Given that they're 10 or more years old, it's not that much of a stretch to think that they're going bad. My wife's '97 F3 had a problem that seemed like it was time to go onto reserve, but with a full tank. I replaced the fuel pump and she hasn't had the problem since.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you search the forum for regulator/rectifier (R/R) problems on F3s, you'll read a lot of stories like yours. Welcome to the club! So take a look at the R/Rand the wire harness leading into it, and don't be surprised if you see that it's burnt.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 AM

I have already replaced the r/r with a gsxr one. But the issue doesn't seem to be electrical.

Almost like it is not getting fuel.

Are there ways of testing the fuel pump?
and where is a good place to get a replacement?

Old 10-03-2008, 06:26 PM

just went out and decided to test a few things.
First I tested the fuel pump it is shooting out a bit, then I disconnected the connector for the relay and shorted out the blue/blk and the blk/wht wires, and the pump filled my mason jar in only a few seconds, so I doubt the pump is bad now.

While apart I took out my trusty multimeter and tested some connections. This is what I found.
For the relay connector and the switch on all three wires when testing voltage came out with about 12 volts.
It didn't matter which wires I touched they all came out with about 12 volts.

This leads me to another issue, could it be the relay instead of the pump?
And I have recently installed a gsxr r/r is it possible I soldered the wrong wirer together and that is the cause of my probs? I can take a pic of anything that would help too!

This leads me back to square one.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 PM

Make sure the battery terminals are getting a good connection. I had that problem, cleaned the terminals and it went away. Then it blew the start relay fuse

Old 10-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

That "Flow Test" for the fuel pump is what I did as well when troubleshooting my wife's F3. It's flow far exceeded the amount based on the 5 seconds I let it run and the volume it put out. Based on this, I checked the connections and operation of the Pump Relay. I verified the pulsating signal from the ignition system to the pump (its why it clicks). I also replaced the fuel filter, and removed, cleaned and inspected the fuel tank petcock. All seemed well and good, which lead me back to the fuel pump. I think I paid around $107 for a new pump. No issues since replacing at the beginning of summer.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 AM

I do not have a beaker to measure it by, but the pump was only on for like a second or two and filled my small mason jar about half full which I think is too much. I will look for another and have a fuel filter on the way also.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:28 PM

if it does this when it is hot/warm and runs ok when it cools down,sounds like the ignition box or something else is getting hot and cutting down on power.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:58 PM

I replaced the fuel filter which helped some, but is still not running properly. It does seem to only have the issue when warmed up though.
Any idea for a solution?

Quick Reply: Bike died on me today