CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Battery or R/R?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds to me like the R/R. I was riding one day and got on a ferry and turned my bike off. Started it back up and everything was fine. I rode about 2 miles to a gas station to pull over and get a drink. Came back out to start my bike and the battery was dead. Luckily I found someone to give me a jump and I turned around and went right back home. When I got home I turned my bike off and then went to turn it back on and she started right back up. I went inside, jumped on ebay, and ordered a GSXR R/R. I rode her for about a week while I was waiting for the R/R to come in and had two different times in that week I had to roll start her, other times she'd fire right up. When I replaced the R/R I also went ahead and replaced the battery. Haven't had a problem since.
The R/R tests aren't flawless. People talk like once the R/Rs are gone that they're gone for good. But with anything electronic they can cause these intermittent problems which are the biggest pain in the *** to figure out.
Spend the $50 on a replacement R/R. Otherwise you rise junking your battery, getting stranded in a flat spot where you can't roll start it, or even just the embarrassment of your bike not starting.
It's a lot more enjoyable being able to ride without the constant worry of your bike possibly not starting back up.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with the r/r...

may be to simple of an explanation, but check your starter relay. you may have a bad connection or a bad starter relay. i had this problem with mine, relay connection was fried and melted..so when i went to start it, it was hit or miss depending on the quality of the connection. you're already going to be looking at wires anyways so you might as well check the relay.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderfella
It sounds to me like the R/R. I was riding one day and got on a ferry and turned my bike off. Started it back up and everything was fine. I rode about 2 miles to a gas station to pull over and get a drink. Came back out to start my bike and the battery was dead. Luckily I found someone to give me a jump and I turned around and went right back home. When I got home I turned my bike off and then went to turn it back on and she started right back up. I went inside, jumped on ebay, and ordered a GSXR R/R. I rode her for about a week while I was waiting for the R/R to come in and had two different times in that week I had to roll start her, other times she'd fire right up. When I replaced the R/R I also went ahead and replaced the battery. Haven't had a problem since.
The R/R tests aren't flawless. People talk like once the R/Rs are gone that they're gone for good. But with anything electronic they can cause these intermittent problems which are the biggest pain in the *** to figure out.
Spend the $50 on a replacement R/R. Otherwise you rise junking your battery, getting stranded in a flat spot where you can't roll start it, or even just the embarrassment of your bike not starting.
It's a lot more enjoyable being able to ride without the constant worry of your bike possibly not starting back up.

hey thanks guys! Lol same exact symptoms and same exact happenings as you man. I am definitely going to switch out the R/R. Is it difficult to replace? I can't seem to find the instructions for installing a GSXR R/R on a CBR F3. I swear I've seen them around on these forums.

It is definitely not my my battery (Volt checked). And like yall are saying I probably have a bad R/R or a bad connection somewhere. Some nights it gives me no problem whatsoever. But it randomly quits on me and will not start. At first I thought it was the battery because it would sound very weak when I tried to start her up. But after you jump her, there is no need to keep the RPMs up to charge a weak battery, as one normally would for a weak battery. Instead, I can turn her off and she will start...lol.

sorry guys, im probably the 1000th guy who asked about installing the R/R, what type of R/R to get (prefer GSXR), year, how many wires it should have, etc. But if you guys can shoot me some helpful links that would be great! I will make sure I help the next person who has a failed R/R!

Edit:

We need a sticky for F3 R/R replacement =)

Last edited by jpanside@gmail.com; 08-15-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 PM

i had the same intermittent problem with my f3 dying. it was the r/r. it would work fine for a week then not start, id roll start it and it would be good for a couple days, then die then roll start then be good...i put on the gsxr one, they are all usable(600,750,1000), get a 5 wire one if you can find one. the 7 wire ones work just just dont use 2 of the wires, so not necessary..i used a 7 wire off a 02 1000 cause i got it for 8 bucks on ebay

Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 PM

I got a GSXR 5 wire R/R.
Let me know what R/R you go with and I'll try to provide you with a walkthrough. The GSXR one was incredible simple to hook up and I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them. So keep your eye open on Ebay for one of those. It definitely sounds like the R/R is the way to go though man.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:30 PM

really appreciate the feedback guys. I'm hauling my *** (mouse) to ebay right now and getting one right now.

Edit:

@ will: $8?! lucky bastard

Last edited by jpanside@gmail.com; 08-15-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com

@ will: $8?! lucky bastard
i know, im awesome

Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 AM

Update:

Just bought a regulator from a 2002 GSXR 1000. Bike had 6,300 miles. I paid $50! fml

I believe it is 5 wires (pretty sure from pictures). So can you guys help me install this crap? :P

Attached Thumbnails Battery or R/R?-b0gwijq-mk-kgrhqeokm4ew8snjnycbmy1-yu-l-_35.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 AM

bump baby bump

Old 08-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Sorry it's been taking forever for me to get back on here.

Cut that clip thing off. Cut and strip all of the wires - both on the bike and the R/R. Solder the 3 yellow wires from the stator to the 3 black (I think) wires from the new R/R. Order doesn't matter with these three. Then solder the green wire from the bike to the black and white striped (I think) wire on the R/R. You should then have a black and red striped (Again.. not sure on the colors here) wire from the new R/R left, solder this to the red wire on the bike. I don't have the bike or R/R in front of me, so don't hold me to these colors.

Quick Reply: Battery or R/R?