CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Battery Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Problems

Hey guys, wondering if you can help me out with something? I bought a brand new battery for my CBR at the start of the season. I charged it up fully and it worked fine for a few rides. A few weeks later, I went to start the bike and it was dead. So i charged up the battery and it worked again. A few rides later, same problem, battery was deadbut worked fine once I charged it. One thing to note is that I don't get out that often, sometimes 2 weeks or so goes by between rides, but I assume a new battery should be able to handle that. My question is, is there anyway to test the bike to see if it isn't charging the battery while the bike is running? I feel like that bike is just draining the battery while it is on and no recharging it all or very little.Anyways, let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery Problems

My money is on the regulator, its a known issue with CBR's, they overheat which eventually kills em. have it checked & if it is, have it replaced with a non genuine heavy duty item, will cost the same & require a slight mod to mount (no big deal). But it won't happen again.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Take off the seat and battery cover. Take a voltmeter and check the voltage of your battery with the bike off. It should be around 12-13v. now start the bike and check the voltage while it is running. If the electrical system is working properly, the voltage should be higher when the bike is running (about 14v). That is how the battery gets re-charged. if the voltage doesn't increase or drops, you're not charging. The r/r on cbr's fails commonly. let us know what you find out.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:48 PM

yeah check your reg i leave my bike sitting for those winter days over 35 degs n i go out after 3 weeks sometimes n it cranks right up

Old 08-28-2007, 08:14 AM

if you are checking the volatge of the bike whilst running, make sure you rev it above 5000rpm as this is when the bike will charge.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: madmike01uk

if you are checking the volatge of the bike whilst running, make sure you rev it above 5000rpm as this is when the bike will charge.
good point, forgot to mention that.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Old 09-11-2007, 02:54 PM

THanks boys, Ill give that a **** and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Well the battery defintely isn't charging while the bike is running. It has the exact same voltage has it does when it is turned off. So it's either the r/r or the alternator, I imagine its the R/r. Do you guys have know of any places online I can order one at a good price?

Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: rslaney

Well the battery defintely isn't charging while the bike is running. It has the exact same voltage has it does when it is turned off. So it's either the r/r or the alternator, I imagine its the R/r. Do you guys have know of any places online I can order one at a good price?
ebay buddy you can get a used stock one pretty cheap .or brand new

Quick Reply: Battery Problems