CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Battery Exploded, Now popping fuses

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Exploded, Now popping fuses

I went for a ride today and had a very "fun" experience. I was cruising along and lost all power. Heard a loud pop between my legs followed by the lovely smell of sulfer. I pulled over, hopped off, and heard the battery boiling. I get it back to my buddies house, tear it down and see the battery is now more round then square. I installed a new battery, went to crank it....nothing. It had blown the headlight fuse, along with the fuse below it - the starter/fuel/ignition/solinoid when the battery went out. I replaced both fuses and it keeps constantly blowing the ignition fuse with just the turn of the key.

What got fried other then the battery?

Old 05-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Default RE: Battery Exploded, Now popping fuses

unplug the regulator and see if it blows the fuses if not you need to upgrade to a suzuki regulator, if it still blows the fuse i would start unplugging connectors till you find the short (ie fuse doesn't blow)

Old 05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

If you're blowing fuses, then something is shorted. It's located downstreamfrom the fuse. A bad electrical component could cause it, or a pinched wire. If you've recently taken something off and put it back on, then look near the areas where you bolted it back together. Also places where you have movement and rubbing against the wires. If you can get a copy of a wiring diagram and know how to read one, that would help. What §T®ÈÈT¿ÐÈMOÑ said as well, but unplug lots of things, then put in fresh fuses. If they don't blow, start plugging things in until the fuse blows. Start looking there.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:49 PM

Hmmmm....first symptom that makes me wonder is why the exploded battery?? Doesn't seem like a short to me. My guess is that your charging system is faulty and putting out too much juice (and likely also a plugged vent line for the battery). When you do find the short and can start trouble shooting I would immediately start taking voltage readings of the charging system.

Dennis

Old 05-13-2008, 04:08 PM

ORIGINAL: denlimack

Hmmmm....first symptom that makes me wonder is why the exploded battery?? Doesn't seem like a short to me. My guess is that your charging system is faulty and putting out too much juice (and likely also a plugged vent line for the battery). When you do find the short and can start trouble shooting I would immediately start taking voltage readings of the charging system.

Dennis

I forgot to mention that Sunday afternoon after a long ride, after about a 6 hours the bike would bairly crank and had to be push started. Also happened yesterday afternoon before that "fun" ride. I went to start it and it would bairly crank over and had to push start it. I just figured at that time the battery was on the way out.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SHugo

I went for a ride today and had a very "fun" experience. I was cruising along and lost all power. Heard a loud pop between my legs followed by the lovely smell of sulfer.
Ha ha ha, thats me most of the time, even when I'm not on the bike.

Ahem, sorry. I've heard of this happening in some cars using the sealed battery.
My guess that its reg related, & its actually caused the short & it happened, its melted the coating on a wire(s) that are now making contact somewheres.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM

SHugo Did you ever find out what happened to your bike ? Mine did the same thing and I'm scratching my head trying to figure it out...Any help would be appriated...

Old 09-04-2009, 02:34 PM

Never mind but I did find out that it was the rectifier and replaced with a 03-04 gsxr 1000 rectifier and cut the wires like explained in other forums now it runs great and the rectifier don't get as hot ...... thanks to other threads on here...

Old 09-05-2009, 10:46 AM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

This is what my bike does, the battery doesnt get charged enough, and wont start, so i have to push start it. Or just charge the battery every other night and it will start fine, but eventually will have to be charged again (or constantly pop started).... this started to happen after I tried to put LED lights under the tail, and I put a stronger headlight bulb... whats the problem?

Old 09-05-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Konamtbdjc
This is what my bike does, the battery doesnt get charged enough, and wont start, so i have to push start it. Or just charge the battery every other night and it will start fine, but eventually will have to be charged again (or constantly pop started).... this started to happen after I tried to put LED lights under the tail, and I put a stronger headlight bulb... whats the problem?

Thats what my bike was doing before I got a new battery and then my rectifier finally gave out and boiled my battery ....I recommend following the instructions on another forum and install a 03-04 gsxr rectifier and get rid of the stock ...It simple and easy to install and you only mess with 5 wires....If you don't find that forum email me and i will explain how to hook it up....hope this helps you

Quick Reply: Battery Exploded, Now popping fuses