CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Backfiring problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backfiring problem.....

Hello all ,im new to the forum here.I have a serious prob with my ride.The story goes as this,all last year she sat in the garage with nothing being done(while i sit on the couch,leg in cast,with nothing being done).this year on a whim i changed the gas/filter,plugs,oil/filter,put carb cleaner in and prayed for the best.Prayers not answered just got it out of the shop.Had the carbs cleaned,was told nothing else was wrong,that it didnt even need synched.Brought it home finished putting the body back on and fired it up.It ran real good in the garage,but as soon as i pulled out it fell on its face.Now when i start it ,it takes a while to get running,and when it idles,it does nothing but pop and backfire.If i give it any gas i got to feather the throtle or it dies but it wont backfire,only when idling,and starting.It never did this before,and the mechanic that cleaned the carbs says it has nothing to do with his work,and wont look at it(he dont work on these kind of bikes normally,so mine was a pain for him aparently).I just pulled my plugs again and the outer plugs look new,but the insides are black already,and i havent even ran 2 quarts of gas through it.Im running 93 octane,its fresh ,so i wouldnt think fuel would be the problem.If anyone has any answers for me i would be very greatfull.As for the mechanic down the street i think a call the the BBB is in order.thaks for any help,have a happy 4th of july!!!

signed,
totaly screwed

Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: Backfiring problem.....

Sounds like a plumbing problem. Especially the ones that come up to the front of the bike under the headlight. Take the fairings off and make sure all the the hoses are connected correctly (get a manual) and no vacuum leaks.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, just go over wot you have done previously, back fire is usually indicative of air getting in, but, (there is always a but). Check that the sparks plug leads are correct (firing order) can cause backfiring if not right. Your middle plugs are running rich (black soot) so they may not be adjusted correctly. And last but not least, of course this has something to do with wot the friggin mechanic has done, "Oh by the way, your bike now runs like a bag of Sh*t, I thought you wanted it that way?". Bash their ears until they listen or go to someone who will & that can get the buggers from sitting on their hands.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:04 AM

without a doubt you need to change your fouled plugs out to new ones. I had the exact same prob with two bikes this spring!

It doesn't matter what they look like, they can look fine and still be fouled. Mine fired right up after changing my plugs. I'd spent hours on end on the starter button with the battery charger on, blowing my eardrums out with super *** loud backfires...

Old 07-04-2008, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the quick replies everyone,after family picnic today ill tear into it again.As far as plumbing all the hoses match diagram on the airbox,personaly i never unhooked them but i did check them.I thought about taking the carbs off again and making sure the boots that connect to the head arent cracked and letting air by.I changed the plugs again last night and it does the same popping.Ill check the vacume lines for leaks and any other things that might be out of place later today.thanks again for the replies.

oh by the way IDODIRT your red and black f3 in your pick(the one your sitting on)is the same as mine....love it.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet you the carbs needs to be synced. I dont know how far the machanic tore into the carbs but when you seperate them... one has to move the adjustments when reassembling. I bet you he eye balled the butterflies and said it was good to go. For the moment though, follow pacemakers and Idodirts advice and double check the firing order and check for air leaks. If that doesnt work, let use know and move on from there.

Old 07-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Thanks for all of your advise,im going to get a syncronizer tomorrow,and a manual to find what screws i adjust.with the air box off looking in the carbs with it running (the black things infront of the butterflies )the #2 opens up before the rest of them,then #3,then #1 and 4 together,so something is off im assuming.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:33 PM

Ok i got a syncronizer today,but cant get a manual for a week or two.does anyone know what carb is the "non-adjustable carb" that im not supossed to adjust,and what screws do i turn to adjust my settings?are they the ones on the bottom of the bowls,or are those to drain the bowls?If anyone has a diagram they could email me that would be awesome, thrush0099@hotmail.com. thanks in advance.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Thrush

Ok i got a syncronizer today,but cant get a manual for a week or two.does anyone know what carb is the "non-adjustable carb" that im not supossed to adjust,and what screws do i turn to adjust my settings?are they the ones on the bottom of the bowls,or are those to drain the bowls?If anyone has a diagram they could email me that would be awesome, thrush0099@hotmail.com. thanks in advance.
Well heres the manual:
http://rapidshare.com/files/107755917/F3manual.pdf

Old 07-06-2008, 09:43 AM

Thanks a bunch this helps alot.

Quick Reply: Backfiring problem.....