CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Anyone make a 1/5 turn throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone make a 1/5 turn throttle?

try adjusting throttle cable taking slack up at adjuster screw at throttle

Old 06-16-2007, 08:30 AM

In response to Gibbon666, i apologise, what i should've said was, racers don't use full throttle a lot, except when on a nice big long straight. Anyone can ride fast in a straight line. I'm sure as you are only a new member you will not yet know that another user on this forum has that same line as a signature. I have however done as you've suggested and watched the pretty little dials. Do you have a recording of when Stoner was full throttle thru a series of bends, or Rossi when he was full throttle banked over and attempting an overtake. I saw full throttle on straights, but on the twisties were most enjoyment is given on a bike i never saw it once. Dont worry i'm booking aneye teston Monday. Also, you are correct i have never raced a bike, plenty cars tho and i dont know if you know the driving style of cars but they do differ in nature from bikes. I will however speak with my riding instructer who raced for 25 years and take all of his race winning trophies from him and tell him to pack in his business as he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. To sum up and to repeat my last post, racers don't use full throttle a lot (the time they do being on straights or near straights) they do however have 1/5th throttles to gain more control over the throttle during bends and twists in the road where minute throttle movement is more advantagious than over twisting the wrist.And to answer the original post, why would you ever NEED a 1/5th throttle? Unless your on track and getting to Moto GP standards, ride the bike better first then think about adding unnecessary road improvements.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:47 PM

Hi

In response to ceeber6!

Racer dont use full throttle alotThey are the ones at the backWhy do I never try and drop below 9,000rpm when I am racing ?????

Perhaps an eye test is in order, watch the throttle dial mate, you will see its ONLY shut off for breaking.

Why did you not comment on the brilliant Dave Molyneaux 12 times TT winner? Full throttle 90% of the race ? Dont tell me the Isle of Man is all straights

As to "more control wilth 1/5th turn throttle" again the opposite is true....the smaller the turn ....the less controlSo if you have a 1/6th even less and so on. Thats why the road bike needs 2 handfulls.

So going back to the original Q I think gibbon666 gave you the best answer! ie how to have a 1/5th turn. Not how to take up slack in the cable or that you dont need it, if you are racing you do need a shorter throttle. Thats why HRC throttles dont keep going round and round.

regards sidecar john

Old 06-17-2007, 05:10 PM

Is it a coincidencehow all of the responses to my reply are from new members. Please refer to June2006issue of RIDE. These guys know what they're talking about. They have an article on how much BHP you would use riding your bike. They have a racer who has 20 years experience. They use nice pretty little graphs to illustrate the throttle use. May be my eyes but the most throttle usage by the racer is fully closed to slow down, followed by 30%, then 20%, 40% and 10%, then 50% and 60% with minor use of 70% plus. I dont mean to sound **** on this but i'm going from what i'm told and what i read in decent publications. So back to my last comment, you will only need a 1/5th throttle on a race bike. Molyneux uses a race bike on the road for the TT. After all its a road race. That a good enough response onthe Molyneux comment. How many toes will i now have stepped on as the count is now two. I would like to say this a forum used to help people with problems and expresspersonal opinionsand experiences but if people want to fill peoples heads with unnecessary magic and attempt to have them spending unnecessary sums of money on unnecessary items for road bikes, i'll stick up for the little fish every time. As anyone should know, learning to ride never stops, learning to race is the same. If a pro racer on a 125 can beat a road going 600 rounda track then does this not show that its the rider not the machine? Gibbon, sidecar i hold no hard feelings i'm only expressing my opinions and what i believe and know. I'll attempt to prove a point where i believe i am right as i imagine will you guys. Fair play and big up to CBR FORUM.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:36 AM

Could the races that both you guys are using for example differ because of the machines that they were using. Give them a GP bike, and they might have a 1/5 throttle, BUT there are computers inside the bike that will help to give the rider more control of the bike. Ex. the RC211V has a computer that controls the fuel/air because if it wasn't 1st and 2nd wouldn't be controllable. (Jan. 07 Ride).

Give the test riders a stock bike that they are suppose to be reviewing, there won't be a 1/5 throttle, because it's stock.

Using a 1/5 throttle is only up to the ride. It does cuase less control over the overall affect of throttle, but you've got to factor in other aspects of the bike and rider as well. (fuel/air ratio, fly-by-wire, engine management, etc.)

just my .02

P.S. Welcome to the CBR Forum, Sidecar John

Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 AM

Hello,

and thanks for the welcome

The original poster asked "how to make 1/5th throttle", in my opinion, that is excactly what gibbon666 told him. No stupid answers or advice just purley how to make one. Not why you should or should not have one.

I have one, but like I said I race, and need to get full throttle fast ( not trying to get another handful ) please note HRC do a 1/6th as well. You do loose throttle control but I just have to be a little more careful in the wet.

There have been some good points made, but nothing to do with the post! Re gearing is excellent especially for acceleration but has nothing to do with 1/5th throttle or how to make one. Same applies to adjusting the throttle cable.

Ceeber6 has made some rash statementswhich I felt needed addressing. He has just made another about a smaller bike with an expert beating a larger 600. Oh dear, I was at Aintree in the UK on Saturday watching the 125cc class run with the 250cc guess which one won? Yep the 125cc he had it nailed all the way round the track, dare i say it full throttle everywhereI dont think he even looked above his visor!

Well I hope the main question has been answered.

Sidecar John

when the red lights go out the bull**** stops!

Old 06-23-2007, 08:47 AM

LlanoSV welcome to the debate as it appears to have turned into. haha I believe reading thru the previous posts (including my own) you have summed the total answers up the best. 1/5th throttles are good, providing you have the necessary bike to fit it to, and rider to ride it.

Stock bikes dont have the necessary computer controls to justify having a 1/5th throttle. All i was trying to get at was why fit one? To a race bike yes, but to a road bike, why? All you need to do is ride it better. I admit that i didn't answer the original question, i was just commenting as to why one would be needed and what else could be done, rather than spending money and effort on parts, when learning to ride it better would be more enjoyable and in the end transferable from bike to bike.

Sidecar, laws of physics say the smaller the engine in the bike the more throttleneeded to generate the same amount of go as a bigger engined bike so yes i would agree you dare say full throttle. However we could go round in circles because by that statement alone its almost saying the bigger the engine the less throttle needed. I was only trying to state that its riding style, not power. How many of you CBR6 guys have beaten larger engined bikes on riding style alone only to be beaten on a straight. As i mentioned anyone can ride a bike fast in a straight line, its only in the corners and bends we become more controlled over the machine we choose to ride.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:18 PM

ceeber6, where are you getting your information?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

ORIGINAL: ceeber6

1/5th throttles are good, providing you have the necessary bike to fit it to, and rider to ride it.
There isn't anything special about a 1/5th throttle (or 1/6th or 1/8th or whatever). Any bike can have a modified throttle. There isn't anything a bike needs to have one. Nor is there anything special about the rider who uses it. Just like anything else, its a tool at the rider's disposal that may be better suited for the rider physically or for his/her riding style.

Stock bikes dont have the necessary computer controls to justify having a 1/5th throttle.
All throttles (unless it were a fly by wire, which is not on any production bike) are strictly mechanical. More specifically, their motion (and hence, their effects) are governed strictly by the motion of the cables in throttle. The ECU has no idea whether the throttle itself is a stock 1/4, 1/5th, 1/6th or whatever. Therefore, there is no necessary computer needed for a quicker turn throttle.

All i was trying to get at was why fit one? To a race bike yes, but to a road bike, why?
It doesn't have to be about performance. People will small hands will be served well with quick-turn throttles.

All you need to do is ride it better.
How are you defining ride it better???? Again, a quick-turn throttle is a tool. No tool is universal, it will work well for some but not everybody.

i was just commenting as to why one would be needed and what else could be done, rather than spending money and effort on parts, when learning to ride it better would be more enjoyable and in the end transferable from bike to bike.
the same could be said for just about all aftermarket parts. The bike is perfectly fine stock. It doesn't need aftermarket exhausts, aftermarket turn signals, fender elminators, etc. But I bet you still have a few of those.

How many of you CBR6 guys have beaten larger engined bikes on riding style alone only to be beaten on a straight.
Ride track much (or at all)???? The only time a big bike is going to take a smaller bike on the straights is when the smaller bike rider is not skilled in driving out of the corner before the straight and/or not skilled in braking for the corner at the end of the straight. For riders of equal skill (and for the sake of this discussion, good riding skill), a liter bike won't have the hp advantage over the 600 until near the end of the straight (the only exception to this is a REALLY LONG straight). In most cases, even if the liter bike passes the 600 at the end of the straight, that distance is easily made up in the braking in setting up for the turn at the end of the straight (a prime example of this is Rossi chasing Stoner in the straights). Personally, I prefer to be fast on a slow bike.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 PM

Well Ceeber6

do you see where I am comming from now?

Like I said the original post was how to convert a throttle. NOT why!

Regards Sidecar John

Old 06-24-2007, 05:25 PM

i side with abadfish, the dude only wanted to know how or where to get one from, he can ride in a pink g-string if he likes and dont have to say y, aint it half the fun of being on a bike is that its diff

Quick Reply: Anyone make a 1/5 turn throttle?