CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Anyone know if you can make the front brake less touchy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know if you can make the front brake less touchy?

Went out on my first ride today on my 600 ever everything was going good (i was practicing going up and down my street) wasn't going past 10 but I wanted to go to second gear so I accelerate and accidently drop the clutch and do a tiny wheelie which scared me so I grabbed the brake and the front wheel instantly locked up sending me flying off the bike and it and I go skidding against the pavement its what ever bent the shift peg but I'm not giving up just wanting to make the brake less sensitive I've thought about maybe letting some air in the system? Let me know

Old 01-21-2017, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody f3
Went out on my first ride today on my 600 ever everything was going good (i was practicing going up and down my street) wasn't going past 10 but I wanted to go to second gear so I accelerate and accidently drop the clutch and do a tiny wheelie which scared me so I grabbed the brake and the front wheel instantly locked up sending me flying off the bike and it and I go skidding against the pavement its what ever bent the shift peg but I'm not giving up just wanting to make the brake less sensitive I've thought about maybe letting some air in the system? Let me know
hey there. You DON'T want to introduce air into your brake lines. What you want to do is practice more. You should be using at least 80% front brake. Applying even, steady pressure in progressively greater amounts is a skill to learn.

You actually want the bike to be sensitive, it just takes time to get to know her and get the feel of things.

Do yourself a giant favor and take a MSC it you haven't. It will teach you a lot.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:34 PM

I want to take a msc but they're always full but I think its a good idea but if they're always full I can't go to it

Old 01-22-2017, 03:19 AM

i hope this is a troll post, saying something as silly as wanting to put air into the brake system.

on the chance it isnt, I have he following to say.
1. if you get freaked out by the front wheel lifting up a little, you need to learn basic throttle control. keep it lower in the rpm range until you are comfortable with the level of performance the bike offers.

2. Get some advanced training. Ive ridden for 20 years, and am an absolute hoon, no doubt about it. however, even though I regularly go for well-beyond-legal-speed rides in the countryside, I appreciate the value of added training, AND refresher courses, which is why I take courses regularly.

3. You need to do some stopping practice. find a parking lot, cruise along at a moderate speed, say 50km, or 30mph, then gently apply the front brake and roll to a stop.
Repeat over and over again, each time, pulling on the brake slightly harder each time.
Once you are competent at that, increase the seed to 60, 80, 100km/hr.

4. all of this, based on your description, happened because you are inexperienced, and got scared. This will not happen when you are more competent, and able to remain calm, and react quickly, but calmly to whatever happens.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the classes are always full you probably need to sign up sooner. When they say "sorry we're full", you say "sign me up for the next class then" etc etc. Once you figure out what you're doing you'll probably want more braking, not less.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses ima try to get into a msc and practice more!

Old 01-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Cody, try using less fingers and/or squeezing the lever higher up.
Use what feels and works best for your ride demands. I like to use my middle and ring fingers to brake, keeping my first finger and thumb on the throttle.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Cody, try using less fingers and/or squeezing the lever higher up.
Use what feels and works best for your ride demands. I like to use my middle and ring fingers to brake, keeping my first finger and thumb on the throttle.
That sounds like a good tip thank you!

Old 01-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good thing I know they do here in PA at least is they offer the knowledge test in the winter and you then get first choice for the rider course in the spring. Its how I did it because like you said they fill up pretty fast. Dont feel bad though, my first ride I locked the front wheel too, mainly because the extent of my exp came from having a drum brake front wheel from misc. dirt bikes growing up. Huge change going from discs. But there is a reason why the front brake is really powerful, it has to be. We have to stop VERY fast in some cases to straight up not die. Like what was stated above though, is its a progressive braking experience. There is many ways to get better and the best is practice reaction time and getting comfortable with situations. Ive known guys that rode for years be cruising a long, a car pulls out. Lock the wheel I mean when you are scared its hard to control the instinct of not dying. You just have to do your best in trying to make that window of scaredly reacting because let me tell you, (you havent even got out on the road yet) but when you are crusing a long and you hit that bend and start turning or leaning and you just arent turning as much as you want to and you start to merge into oncoming lane or off to the side it gets pretty much that same feeling of panic. So first and foremost its about control of the bike, how to lean, how to transfer weight, how to brake, all lead to how to avoid getting yourself in the most dangerous situation possible. Not to say you cannot do it on a moderatlly powerful bike as the F3 but there is a reason why people work their way up, starting where you are just means you have to put that much more work into mastering a more intermediate motorcycle. Just know that a proper front brake will ALWAYS (unless you have a new ABS system bike) lock that wheel whether at 10 or 100. Please be careful and get some formal education. Ride safe.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleOne
A good thing I know they do here in PA at least is they offer the knowledge test in the winter and you then get first choice for the rider course in the spring. Its how I did it because like you said they fill up pretty fast. Dont feel bad though, my first ride I locked the front wheel too, mainly because the extent of my exp came from having a drum brake front wheel from misc. dirt bikes growing up. Huge change going from discs. But there is a reason why the front brake is really powerful, it has to be. We have to stop VERY fast in some cases to straight up not die. Like what was stated above though, is its a progressive braking experience. There is many ways to get better and the best is practice reaction time and getting comfortable with situations. Ive known guys that rode for years be cruising a long, a car pulls out. Lock the wheel I mean when you are scared its hard to control the instinct of not dying. You just have to do your best in trying to make that window of scaredly reacting because let me tell you, (you havent even got out on the road yet) but when you are crusing a long and you hit that bend and start turning or leaning and you just arent turning as much as you want to and you start to merge into oncoming lane or off to the side it gets pretty much that same feeling of panic. So first and foremost its about control of the bike, how to lean, how to transfer weight, how to brake, all lead to how to avoid getting yourself in the most dangerous situation possible. Not to say you cannot do it on a moderatlly powerful bike as the F3 but there is a reason why people work their way up, starting where you are just means you have to put that much more work into mastering a more intermediate motorcycle. Just know that a proper front brake will ALWAYS (unless you have a new ABS system bike) lock that wheel whether at 10 or 100. Please be careful and get some formal education. Ride safe.
Thanks for sharing your information with me!

Quick Reply: Anyone know if you can make the front brake less touchy?