CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Another one for the racers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another one for the racers...

Haha - just a question.

How much of a difference are the fairings going to make to a rider on his first couple of trackdays?

Generally? Does anyone take a street fightered bike to the track?

Weird question... ?

Old 02-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Default RE: Another one for the racers...

Its nice to have something to hide your head behind...140mph wind will push your helmet around a lot....thats catagory 5 hurricane wind speeds after all. Other than that and loosing a little off your top speed, I don't think it will matter. Many of the bikes in the LightWeight catagory that I was in didn't have any fairing...we'd put on a nose cone from whatever we could fit, and that was it...my hawk I raced with nothing.

you see the whole gammut of bikes come to track days....though "fur" is prohibited by many. I've seen harleys, goldwings, smashed up track bikes on their 9th lifeall the way up to mint MV Agusta's. So to bring a street fightered bike is no big deal.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:18 PM

I've been to a couple of trackdays. and the only thing that i've noticed was that as long as the bike had the proper safety(lights taped up, brake light taped up, etc.), the track doesn't care.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Banned

Hmmm...

I ask because I'm thinking about streetfightering the bike before the track days and I'm sure I'm gonna be practicing some lot work this year.

I just don't want to trash my fairings at the track - which I almost guarantee I lay it over.

I just wonder how big of a deal it is to go back to full fairing. Is anyone familiar with the task? Is any streetfighter mod that is done to the bike permanent?

Old 02-10-2007, 02:35 PM

Pull all the plastics off and you can see all the wiring on the frame and subframe. For a proper streetfighter, you'd have to get creative with hiding wires. Not to mention you'd need new gauges and a new fairing stay. You've also got mounting tabs that would have to be grounded off. Basically, a proper streetfighter f3 probably wouldn't be easy to return to stock.

If you're worried about laying the bike down, just buy some cheap race fairings and rattle can it (if money is tight), or just buy some used ones from a racer. Doesn't need to be fancy, just functional.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Why are you so sure you are gonna lay it down...? keep your head on straight and you'll be fine. Some poeple say to find your limits you have to crash....non-sense.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Banned

Bah - I dunno man. Just because it seems fitting I guess.

Now it's got me bothered though. The Nesba handbook says that they may ask you to leave for the day if they feel you are unsafe - I don't think I'd look like a crazy man out to kill himself out there, but I just know I'm gonna low-side.

Haha - I don't know man - I've always been the type of guy to want to get the first wipeout outta the way. Ever rail grind on a skateboard? Haha - there's really only one way... to eat shiite first!

I dunno - maybe I'm a bit presumptious - but it only seems certain that my riding style will force me to lowside by pushing it too much and not having the skills to match the equipment just yet.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you just know you're going to crash...then i don't think you should ride the track...
problem solved!

i don't ever see anyone streetfightering it at the track for the sake of their fairings...then again i don't know of anyone who signs up for a trackday knowing he/she will crash...

Old 02-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Look, I can't say this without sounding like your dad, or just an ******* in general...but thats just fricking stupid. And if it were up to meI would ask you to leave or sit out, or follow a CR around all dayif you are riding over your head. The whole point isn't to go fast for the sake of going fast....this is sheltered environment for you to improve your skills, and be offered advice by more experienced riders. If you can't keep your head, and your ego writes checks your body can't cash, the track is the last place you should go.

I know guys that log 3000 miles a year on the track and have NEVER fallen down...and they are not slow. Crashing on the track isNOT a given...while more lilely than not to happen if you search for limits without understanding, it is not predestined with theright state of mind.

If you get all gun ho....chances are you won't have a nice gentle low side like the pros do....More likely you'll run hot into a corner, fixate on the grass and tumble off to a nice resting place 25 feet from the racing surface...such things are bad for you, your bike (bodywork or not) and foranyone around you caught in the wreckage.

Bodywork, while primarily for appearance and aerodynamics, does offer protection for the stuff under it....frame, wiring, radiator, etc. I'd look for some "pre-bashed" bodywork if you are worried about it.

I'll step down from my soap box now....

Old 02-12-2007, 05:27 PM

jbreit,you're such a track snob

Quick Reply: Another one for the racers...