CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Another Carb Cleaning/Adjust/Sync Project (Includes Links)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Another Carb Cleaning/Adjust/Sync Project (Includes Links)

Ladies and gentlemen,

Over the next few moments you will be taken through a journey. A journey of one man versus four carburetors. One many have taken and many more will continue to do so. For previous adventurers, I thank you for your insight and wisdom for this man would have lost many battles along the way if it was not for you. For the bold adventurers just beginning their quest or those who have already started the journey of there own, I hope this may be of assistance (or reassurance if nothing else) to you and your internal monologue.

First we begin with references that have been of assistance to me and might be useful to others. (This is not all inclusive, I have been unable to find a few links again that helped tremendously. Feel free to add links that have assisted in your endeavors.)

1) Haynes Repair Manual (This should be your first and foremost asset. If not the Haynes, then another brand. Either Download or buy online.)

2) Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...g-101-a-96888/

3) How To: Carburetor Rebuild
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...ebuild-104876/

4) CV Carb Tuning
CV Carb Tuning Procedures

5) Carb sync with home-made sync tool
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...c-tool-114927/

6) Need help with gas leak
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3...s-leak-107523/

7) Fuel leaking from carb overflow..
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-...erflow-111281/

8) Leak from carburetor fuel input?
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3...-input-138434/

9) Need help with gas leak
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3...s-leak-107523/

10) Highhhhhhh RevVV
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f...-revvv-139639/

As you can see I had some gas leak issues, but all of these threads were some good reads that were fairly informative and got me on the right track.
__________________________________________________ ___

Time has run out on my ability to tell my tale, for I have spent well over a coons age gathering the aforementioned links. I shall return to tell you all a tale of sorrow, desperation, excitement, and above all determination....

TO BE CONTINUED....

Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 PM

I'm putting an 1991 F2 that used to be a racer back on the road and I've encountered carb issues. I finally got the carbs to stop leaking. Now, I have a question: in order to fire it up and test it, do I have to attach all the fiddly little vacuum lines or can I just attach a remote gas tank and crank? Which I've tried. It acts like it wants to start, but doesn't quite go. Thoughts?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Old 07-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Default Another Carb Cleaning/Adjust/Sync Project (Includes Links)

OK, So here we go..

It all started with a stutter. There was a delay when I rolled on the throttle and idled rough. After searching through the forum, I decided it was the fact that I needed my carbs cleaned. (I bought it less than perfect condition and maintenence, so I just assumed they had not cleaned the carbs.)

This is where I started my search for write-ups. I learned a lot and found all the fun little tips, tricks and facts.

One Saturday, I buy all the goods. Chemdip, Carb Cleaner, Compressed Air (Computer Keyboard), Rubber Gloves, and a 30-Pack. I knew I was prepared, and so the journey begins...

I put her up on my bike stands (which I purchased because I will be swapping out the front rotors during the project as well), and began to to tear her apart.

*wrench wrench wrench*
Carbs are on the bench!

I dissambled the carbs from the rail, and removed all of the jets, screws, what have you. I dissembled them individually and placed all of the components into my can of chemdip for 2 hrs a set. Then cleaned them with the spray chempdip, and then sprayed down with the compressed air.

While cleaning, I had lost one of the o-rings from beneath the 3rd carb pilot jet. Nobody had an o-ring so I ordered one from pawpawcylce.com. Just to see if everything worked, I put the smallest o-ring I could find in and put it back together (I know I'm dumb and will elaborate further).

Put them all back together, float needle looked fine, pilot jet screw tips looked fine, and back on the bike it goes. Gas tank, and airbox go back on and I start her up. Didn't take much of a hassle to start. Once it started though, it was idling extremely high and there was gas leaking from inbetween the 3rd and 4th carb. At this point I had the pilot screws at 2 turns out from seated. One member commented on a thread that this may have been from being too rich. So when I disassembled it again, I adjusted the pilot screws in half a turn.

My first thoughts when I saw the leak was that the wrong sized o-ring in carb 3 wasn't working and that makes sense seeing as how carbs are very finicky and you don't want to use any parts other than spec. So, I tear it all back apart and wait for the new o-ring.

New o-ring came, replaced, reassembled bike, still leaked fuel between 3 and 4 and had a high idle. Back to the forum I go and found fuel leak write-ups. Figured it to be the fuel intake "T's" between the carbs. So I buy new o-rings from pawpaw and I disassemble the bike again.

O-rings come, carbs reassembled, and I try to start. Nothing. It turns over and over and over and every now and then pops as if it will start and then nothing. A couple times I got a loud gunshot backfire. One loud *** CRACK!

I went in and adjusted all the pilot screws out to 2 1/2 turns out to spec.

Tomorrow I will be pulling the plugs to verify that they are not fouled.

I am at a loss here... It has been one hell of a project to this point and I'm not sure how to move forward.

I synced it by eyballing the butterflies but have not pressure sync'd. This would just cause it to run rough but would still start correct?

It's been 4 weeks now and I have a very ansy woman requesting this machine between her legs.... HELP! lol

Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Best way to sync before putting them back in is bench syncing get 2 of the same size drill bits i use 1/8 inch put the first one in the base carb under the butterfly of the one without a screw then use the other bit as a feeler gauge and adjust accordingly this will most likely get you as close as you need to be for street riding.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 AM

Alrighty, so here are my plugs. Looking fouled. I wiped them down and cleaned them off with a Brush.

Should I get new plugs? How can I keep my next set from fouling?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Old 07-07-2012, 09:52 AM

http://Name:  76170FF0.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  131.7 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
76170FF0.jpg (131.7 KB, 124 views)
Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 AM

As long as the electrodes don't look pitted you should be able to reuse them if you clean them.

As for the backfire did you pull your plug wires? Sometimes wrong firing order can cause this. If not then its normally caused from the bike being to lean. Are all your carb boots in good shape and tight? An intake leak can sometimes be an issue.
I'm not sure what else you messed with on the bike but being as it was running I'm guessing you put something back together wrong in the carbs causing it to be very lean. Wikipedia has a good write up on a lot of stuff like this.
Here's the one for backfiring.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back-fire#section_2

Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mikethebike
I'm putting an 1991 F2 that used to be a racer back on the road and I've encountered carb issues. I finally got the carbs to stop leaking. Now, I have a question: in order to fire it up and test it, do I have to attach all the fiddly little vacuum lines or can I just attach a remote gas tank and crank? Which I've tried. It acts like it wants to start, but doesn't quite go. Thoughts?
Yes, yes you do. Leaving them off you have a giant vacuum leak on your intake and the bike won't start or if it does it'll rev to like 6k. You don't actually have to hook them up but you do have to block them all off. A bolt in the line works well.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Default Update**

After cleaning off the plugs, it started! Teporarily. The idle never went over 1k, not even when I adjusted the idle adjustment on the left side. Any throttle and it died. Choke off, and it died. While it ran, I felt the exhaust downpipes. 1 & 2 got hot, 3 & 4 nothing. Pulled the plugs, fouled.

Talked with my dad (enginer at Kohler), and he suggested to turn the pilot screws down to 1 1/4 to lean it out and keep from fouling, and clean the plugs. I bought new plugs (just to be safe) and turned in pilot screws. Didn't start, just turned over and over.

No I'm down to the understanding that it must be fuel related. I have spark, I have compression, and I have air (double checked all lines), now fuel. So I think it must be the fuel pump or fuel filter. I took off the fuel intake off of the carb coming straight from the fuel pump. I placed that in a bottle and cracked it over a couple times. I even tried both reserve and ON. No gas comes out.

Probably the fuel pump huh? I'm thinking of just getting a fuel filter and trying that. If it works, cool. If not I would buy a pump (damn expensive) but I would need a new filter wit a new pump anyways.

Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Another Carb Cleaning/Adjust/Sync Project (Includes Links)