CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Carb Connectors how rubbery? :-)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Carb Connectors how rubbery? :-)

Hi Folks,
I have a 1998 F3 (FW) model that I've owned for the last 17 years others have come and gone but my first love is still with me!
I'm in the process of overhauling the fuel system as I've been promising her that i would do it for the past ahem .... few years. I've taken the carbs off and cleaned them as I always do if shes been standing for more than a few months. This time I had a bit of a hard time getting them off the rubber insulators....they seem to be a little bit more like bakerlite than rubber now. Being a tight ars*d Yorkshire man id rather not get new ones but think i should if they are too bad. Can anybody tell me how flexible the new parts are? I'm just wondering if i should really change them now and what problems i may have down the line if i don't .

Cheers

Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Even when they are new, the boots aren't super pliable. They they have a tight radius to thickness ratio. Having said that, you should be able to squeeze them at least a 1/3rd of the way closed with a little bit of effort.
Some folks on here have soaked them in a wintergreen solution to recondition them and claimed great results. I've never tried it but it may be worth a try.
As the boots get older, they become an even greater pain to pull. Also they may eventually start to crack and give you air leaks which will cause you all kinds of issues.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Hamlin6
Cheers
Definitely not able to do that they are very stiff. I have had air issues over the last couple of years so i think ill go ahead and shell out the dosh.

I will however try this on the old ones ....
3:1 mixture of isopropyl alcohol (or denatured alcohol) and Oil of Wintergreen (methyl salicylate)
Found it on another thread

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by BwanaTumbo; 02-08-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BwanaTumbo
Hamlin6
Cheers
Definitely not able to do that they are very stiff. I have had air issues over the last couple of years so i think ill go ahead and shell out the dosh.

I will however try this on the old ones ....
3:1 mixture of isopropyl alcohol (or denatured alcohol) and Oil of Wintergreen (methyl salicylate)
Found it on another thread

Cheers

Andy
I've done it...it works. Just be patient, as it might take 5+ days. Keep checking them (use latex gloves when handling them) till they feel the way you want. Rinse with a mild soap and warm water & you're good to go.

The boots will smell like Wrigley's Gum for quite a while afterwords, but a still a nice way to save $50.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

I have a set of old dried out ones I just might give a good soak. Since there are so many positive posts, it can only be a positive experience. Right now they are just laying at the bottom of a tool box so they can't get any worse.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:34 PM

Notes: Try not to get the chit on your hands. It's not necessarily a medical emergency, but it'll easily soak right through the skin. A little bit is supposed to relieve muscle and joint pain, but a lot will simply kill you. Best to avoid skin exposure altogether. And try not to breathe the fumes if you can.

Keep the stuff where no child might get their hands on it. An ounce or two is enough to precipitate a real medical emergency.

The aromatics in the stuff and the alcohol will evaporate fairly quickly, I stuck the rubber pieces I was soaking into a Rubbermaid container with a lid. This'll now be the 'official' container for rubber soaking, since it will henceforth and forever smell like wintergreen (don't think you're ever gonna want your tater salad in that sucker).

Old 02-09-2018, 02:58 AM

Ill hang fire on shelling out the dosh and try this embalming of the rubbers! No children in the household these days but but safety first as i still have inquisitive hounds around.
Will let you know how it goes as getting the potion ingredients on the morrow.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:17 AM

Well, a dog might get a whiff of that stuff and skate in any other direction post-haste. It's not an unpleasant odor, but it can be overwhelming. A dog's nose would go into overdrive at 3 meters, I'd imagine.

Let us know how it works out.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:39 AM

5 out of my 6 would do one in the other direction ...... but there is always Rasta Hound .... the exception to the rule.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:46 PM

Rasta Hound...great name!

Quick Reply: Carb Connectors how rubbery? :-)