CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Ahh, the pretty rainbows...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ahh, the pretty rainbows...

So I ran home last night to get some cash, left the bike running in the driveway.

Come out 2 minutes later and there is a puddle of antifreeze under my bike making it's way down the driveway. Wonderful. Not only that, but there was some really pretty rainbows in the coolant. Awesome.

So this weekend I'm pulling the engine. I'm gonna replace the thermostat and clean and jet the carbs. I'll be replacing all the gaskets for the engine since we obviously have a leak somewhere. Good news is there is no smoke so I'm fairly certain everything is nice and like it should be, prolly a gasket. I'm also going to replace the valves. I've done it in cars - is it the same on a bike? I would imagine so I just don't want to tear it apart and find out it isn't.

So, can anyone think of anything else I might want to do? Going to recharge the K&N filter, just changed the plugs last December but I think I'll go ahead and swap 'em out again... why not, right?

Sucks - going to be an awesome weekend to ride and I'm gonna be stuck turning wrenches. Oh well - I've gotten some really good riding in. The worst pert is that Iwas going to ordera clutchand now I won't have the flow. I'm not certain what the gasket kits will cost - I'm about to start hunting. Superbike Supply seems to have some good prices... anyone wanna recommend someone else?

I guess after 31K miles, and 9K of them being put on it in 6 months... hell, I can't really complain.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned
Default RE: Ahh, the pretty rainbows...

So I've got the oil pan gasket, head gaskets, cylinder cover gaskets, breather plate and water pump gaskets, thermostat and o-ring all for a grand total of $186.98. This is awesome, I can't believe I'm this lucky!

Haven't even priced the valves yet - though I might just have them cleaned at this point. They don't need to be replaced, I just figured why not... this is why! Not enough $$$.

So, again, can anyone think of anything I might want to add?

Old 05-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Damn man, I haven't gone that deep into my bike yet so I got nothin. Best of luck!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:28 PM

I've just got gone re gasketting (is that a word) my mom's boyfriends Hurricane. We did the same thing your doing minus the thermostat. The only thing I can think of is to check the valve adjustment. I know it's going to cast a little more but since the motor is out of the bike might as well see what the clearance is like. I personally haven't done it on my f3 yet cuz it requires those "shims" (sp?)

Good luck on the work. Should be fun.

O yea... maybe cleaning off any extra carbon build up as well. Just a thought.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:48 PM

Yeah, valve clearances are good to check if you're already in the engine. All you need to buy to check them is a feeler gauge since you already have the head gasket. Plus, if they're out of spec, shims are cheap.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Users

maybe the cam chain? i heard those go bad around 30k miles, mine's got 50 and its still going but somebody told me that once...j&p cycles has a gasket set for like 20 bucks, supposed to be like most of the important one's i think
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...5-F2E1E3FDD091

they sell a shim kit(which i need) too
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...A-47CA1943D628