CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 F3 wont start - just backfires

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 F3 wont start - just backfires

well,
the bike was running like a top, carbs synced, and ready for body work. then, over night, it wont start. the bike cranks over but wont even try to fire. after several seconds of cranking with the choke on, it backfires and usually has flame out the pipe. i suspect that is because of a collection of unburnt fuel in the exhaust. for this reason, i thought of timing. i have checked the plugs, for fire, even the timing. i cant seem to find anything abnormal. the one thing that i did notice, was that the spark is not that strong. all 4 plugs are the same. could that have something to do with the pulse generator?
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:55 PM

This is what my bike was doing when it wasnt getting fuel, the carb bowls were but the jets were clogged although mine had been sitting for a long time. Strange that it happened overnight but maybe tryi taking off the tank, airbox/airfilter, spraying some starting fluid or fuel in each carb. If it fires up you know its a fuel issue and where to start.

Blake

Old 10-18-2009, 09:39 PM

i cleaned the carbs this summer and synced them too. the bike ran well the day before, and i did nothing to it in between. i believe that it is getting fuel, since it does backfire, and the flame out the pipe.
one thing that i didnt try was to bypass the fuel pump. it may have quit working, and therefore, the carbs are not getting enough fuel if the bowl levels are low. just thought of it, and i will try that in the morning.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 PM

Sounds good miller, that would be the a good idea as well. That is where my issue started, fuel solenoid went out so i am currently running no fuel pump, just straight from the tank to the carbs. Keep us posted.

Blake

Old 10-31-2009, 10:26 AM

well,
i bypassed the pump, and still no go. checked the pump and it is working well. checked the resistance of the pulse generator, and it is within spec. wrung out ALL the wiring to the computer - all showing continunity. i dont have a peak voltage adapter to allow checking of the pulse generator or coils while cranking, so i think i will have to go to the dealer and have that checked, just so i dont buy parts that i dont need. i will keep it updated, as things progress.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike did the same thing. I put to much carb cleaner in it. What I did was draining all the bowls out several times. Then put the choke on and start her up. After doing this a couple of times and drying off the plugs from being wet from before she fired right up.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by millertyme
well,
i bypassed the pump, and still no go. checked the pump and it is working well. checked the resistance of the pulse generator, and it is within spec. wrung out ALL the wiring to the computer - all showing continunity. i dont have a peak voltage adapter to allow checking of the pulse generator or coils while cranking, so i think i will have to go to the dealer and have that checked, just so i dont buy parts that i dont need. i will keep it updated, as things progress.
Miller, unscrew the bowl screw and see if fuel comes out of each bowl. Did you try hitting each carb with a bit of fuel or starting fluid and see if it starts?

Blake

Old 11-02-2009, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by blakesgst
Miller, unscrew the bowl screw and see if fuel comes out of each bowl. Did you try hitting each carb with a bit of fuel or starting fluid and see if it starts?

Blake
Blake,
i did not drain the carbs, but i will try that to confirm all 4 are getting fuel. i did put fuel down the carbs, and still nothing but backfiring. the carbs were rebuild and cleaned earlier this summer, and it was running like a top.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds uber flooded. These things are uber picky I found out

Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Krux
sounds uber flooded. These things are uber picky I found out
the plugs are not wet. cant see it being flooded, but i wont rule out anything at this point...

Quick Reply: 98 F3 wont start - just backfires