CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 f3 stumper

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 f3 stumper

hello all, just finished a build on cbr 600 f3. all complete and now testing motor. added fresh fuel. Upon my test drive i noticed it was a little sluggish. Smooth but sluggish, maybe dirty carbs. after 1 hr the motor quit and took about 5 minutes of starting to come back to life. Made it home safely all the while it was very boggy.

I pulled carbs and cleaned the crap out of them, fresh plugs, filter, and oil. the carb bowls were gummed up. Put it all back and noticed immediately the rpm range was smoother and super responsive like its suppose to be. Great. Well....after 5 minutes it started getting sluggish again and slow throttle response. checked the fuel pump and its pumping , kinda just spurting, not sure how there suppose to perform. I didnt change the fuel filter but took it out and visually checked it. i blew through it and it was a little restrictive...is this normal?

it wouldnt start for about ten minutes....i checked the plugs and they were wet with fuel. im confused...could the coils be bad? do they work intermittently? any suggestions would be great. thanks guys.

chris

Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 PM

cant help ya but mine pretty much just died the same thing too sucks

Old 05-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hotducati
hello all, just finished a build on cbr 600 f3. all complete and now testing motor. added fresh fuel. Upon my test drive i noticed it was a little sluggish. Smooth but sluggish, maybe dirty carbs. after 1 hr the motor quit and took about 5 minutes of starting to come back to life. Made it home safely all the while it was very boggy.

I pulled carbs and cleaned the crap out of them, fresh plugs, filter, and oil. the carb bowls were gummed up. Put it all back and noticed immediately the rpm range was smoother and super responsive like its suppose to be. Great. Well....after 5 minutes it started getting sluggish again and slow throttle response. checked the fuel pump and its pumping , kinda just spurting, not sure how there suppose to perform. I didnt change the fuel filter but took it out and visually checked it. i blew through it and it was a little restrictive...is this normal?

it wouldnt start for about ten minutes....i checked the plugs and they were wet with fuel. im confused...could the coils be bad? do they work intermittently? any suggestions would be great. thanks guys.

chris
sounds like you need to tune your bike.
your air/fuel ratios are probably off

Old 05-30-2010, 08:25 PM

the adjustments on the carb were made after cleaning. they were in stock position as well. The bike will run for a moment as should. then seems to sputter out after 7 or 8 minutes. I do notice the fan doesnt kick on at all. I did ground the fan out and it is operational. could i be overheating? is there a shutdown so to speak?

chris

Old 05-30-2010, 09:05 PM

the adjustments on the carb were made after cleaning. they were in stock position as well. The bike will run for a moment as should. then seems to sputter out after 7 or 8 minutes. I do notice the fan doesnt kick on at all. I did ground the fan out and it is operational. could i be overheating? is there a shutdown so to speak?

chris
your bike performs differently at initial startup and when your bike gets warm...
might want to do a rad flush if you've never before, and use water wetter as a performance cooler.

bogging out can be caused by a lot of issues.
getting your rad fun to work is pretty important though.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:39 AM

Ok Spicy,

Took the carbs off and went through everything again. adjusted screws to 1 1/2 turns out. all 4. put everything back. runs very nicely, nice throttle response. after a few minutes it sputters and dies.

When i first got the bike i noticed the plug for the stator was burned up. so i wired a new plug in. the case of the stator seems really hot..not sure if thats normal. could the stator be causing these issues? im getting 13volts at the battery with everything running including the fan.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:43 AM

Ok Spicy,

Took the carbs off and went through everything again. adjusted screws to 1 1/2 turns out. all 4. put everything back. runs very nicely, nice throttle response. after a few minutes it sputters and dies.

When i first got the bike i noticed the plug for the stator was burned up. so i wired a new plug in. the case of the stator seems really hot..not sure if thats normal. could the stator be causing these issues? im getting 13volts at the battery with everything running including the fan.
so your battery is charged? good.
I learned the hard way that without the battery, your bike will not stay running.

Is it sitting in neutral, revving fine, and then slowly dieing after a few?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:03 PM

yes, revs good now. just after a few minutes rpm dropps and dies. to restart i have to crack the throttle open and the same process happens again.

One more thing.... the pilot screws have a rubber washer and a steel washer. i installed as follows.. spring, washer, then rubber, then screw in. it didnt make sense to me to put spring, rubber , washer..just want to verify with you.

I will try now to back out to 2 turns on the screws. Mind you, im sure the carbs are out of sync. i do not have tool. but like i said it runs good initial. if i had a carb sync i would do that but i dont till tomorrow.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:21 PM

sounds like something is plugged in wrong...the air solenoid if hooked up wrong does all kinds of fun things.....refer to a manual and make sure ur tubing is correct....also if that plug in was burnt up so is ur stator....they get hot but shouldnt burn up....refer to the stator replacement threads

Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM

hey dude i had the same thing happen to me it was because my engine got flooded. it flooded so bad that my plugs fouled and somehow i got gas into the airflow line for above 12mph. just take out ur carbs check the float levels make sure they all hang about the same length. and make sure u check those air hoses for fluids because your situatiuons sounds alot lke mine.

i fixed it by checking the float levels and the needle inlets, and cleaning the bowls since i was already there, i used compressed air to blow through all the air hoses and replaced my plugs. put the choke on open the throttle all the way and try to start it. as soon as she starts let off the throttle and let her sit. turn the choke offf when necessary and just let her idle and see if she dies.if she doesnt then take her for a ride

Last edited by Michaud85; 05-31-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 f3 stumper