CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 f3 just quit running out of no where

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 f3 just quit running out of no where

ok so a few weeks ago i was on my way home from work and my bike like just shut down on me, get it started and would only run at higher rpms come to a stop sign and would die, but would onlyrun at high rpms, prior to this i replaced my voltage regulator with a 26 dollar ebay one from china bc my bike would lose all battery juice, now bike will idel and when i give it gas it dies, i am so lost and want to just get rid of it, can anyone help please? can text me as well, thanks eight 1 6 seven three nine one 2 1 eight

Old 08-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Registered Users

Update.... so somehow my fuel pump isn't kicken on so I just hard wired dierectly to battery to see if it works and I can get it to work that way but even then when I try to slowley rev it up it still just dies

Old 08-19-2011, 12:25 PM

that is probly the problem if the fuel can not flow the bike will die out. the F3's really need that 3 psi of fuel pressure to work good.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:47 PM

It sounds like a foreign object made it's way into the carbs to me. Once the bowls are full the bike will run for a little while w/o incoming fuel.

If you were around Seattle I would fix it for you.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:59 AM
Registered Users

if only kc was close lol, i am biding on a used un cut wirnig since the previous owner done some customizing to it since it somehow caught fire but i got it down to the airbox off but dont quit know how to get carbs off to clean them up at all? know of any pics or anything that could help me?

and i also noticed there wasnt a filter in the airbox and i have been riding it for like a couple months since ive got it

Last edited by IDoDirt; 08-20-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old 08-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 816_wallace
Update.... so somehow my fuel pump isn't kicken on so I just hard wired dierectly to battery to see if it works and I can get it to work that way but even then when I try to slowly rev it up it still just dies.
Those are classic symptoms of carburetors that need a thorough cleaning. Make sure you get a filter installed in the airbox. These bikes are not happy without one, plus it's bad for the engine.

As for the fuel pump, it only runs when the engine is running. Wiring directly to battery is fine for testing, but don't leave it that way.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:38 AM
Registered Users

I can't figure out how to get my carbs off? Can anyone kinda walk me thru it?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered Users

so i cleaned out my carbs today, and now bike wont even fire?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 AM

make sure the tank petcock is turned on, make sure you have gas flow, and give it a minute to get fuel to the carbs. If you have fuel from the tank, check the input hose to the carbs...make sure you are getting gas to the carbs. Make sure you have spark...make sure that the plug wires are on the right cylinders....check your fuel filter as well.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Getting the bike started after having the carburetors apart takes a little time. Other things to be aware of, Use the Choke, don't twist the throttle, don't be afraid to turn it over for 20 to 30 seconds. Do allow time for the starter to cool off a bit between starting attempts. Having another battery to use to help with starting is good as well. Open the drain screws on the float bowls to see if you're getting fuel. Make sure you plugged in the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: 98 f3 just quit running out of no where