CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 cbr600 f3 electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 cbr600 f3 electrical problems

story starts with I live in Boston, MA. I don't have anyplace to store my bike for winter, and as some of you may know, Boston was swallowed whole in snow, with all time record breaking snow.

She's been neglected for some time now and I'm finally restoring her to 100% or close to that. rear plastics got thrown away awhile back, exposing the reg/rec. 2 years ago i replaced the battery twice and the reg/rec once. When installing the reg i botched assembling the new wire heads and plastic thing that plugs into the reg/rec, so the plastic part doesnt exist its just wires connected into the terminals.

After shoveling out my bike that was completely 100% cover with snow, couldn't even see it in my driveway, i put the key in and no lights or nothing, battery was completely dead, i dont have a trickle charge so i hooked it up to a car with the engine off, and she started after a few tries. the bike will run for a bit without dying, but unless im moving it dies out. my battery is definitely compromised question is how do i test my stator? i tried testing the 3 yellow wires with my multimeter, but every combination i did would go up to .3 ohms but then drop down to 0.. 2 of the 3 wires have a little insulation burn and thats concerning me that the stator is bad, but my bike would stay running when id ride around trying to charge my battery, keeping the rpm above 5k, but once i left my bike off for more than 30 seconds i wouldn't be able to start it, even running it down a hill several times didn't do the trick, i know the battery is bad cuz i tested the volts, at idle i tested 12.6 but after a blip of my wrist the reading would drop below 9.6, into the 7-9 range.

Sorry for being all over the place in my breakdown, but wouldn't my bike die while riding over 5k rpms if the stator wasnt putting AC into the reg rec? i tested the reg/rec too and got good results, im trying not to believe the readings i got from testing the stator wires, i unplugged all 5 wires with the bike off and tested the wires, then tested with the red and green wires attacked but the 3 yellows detached and got the same result, can someone shed light on how to test my stator? i couldnt find a decent guide that didn't confuse me, barly know how to use this mutimeter.

I just order a new set of plastics, new mirrors, bolt/nut set for the whole bike, new tires, new brakes, new cam.. so I have a lot of money in the mail and im hoping i dont have to put more money in for a new stator/ reg/rec. I've come to peace with having to buy a new battery.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

To test the stator, use the ohms setting on the meter. A good stator will have a 0 to little ohms between the terminals and read open or infinite ohms between each terminal and ground.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:56 AM

i think the stator is still i working condition, just with bad connections. if i just replaced the battery and tried cleaning the connections, would anything kill the new battery ?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 325 Likes on 267 Posts

A couple things could. If your bike was totally unprotected all winter long and enough snow or other moisture was in contact with you battery, it might have done it by completing the electrical circuit.

Or another way unfortunately is jump starting a bike from a car can be rough or fatal on the bike battery if not done 100% correct.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:01 AM
exf

I would first recharge battery with external charger and after that check what is the problem.

It could be that the battery is dead. That's pretty basic when the battery is fully empty and is in cold for a while. It needs good charging first because motorcycle charger is not so powerfull.

Last edited by exf; 03-22-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:05 PM

I'd invest in a decent battery charger and give the battery a good long charge. When it's full you can then keep an eye on how it loses its charge over a couple of days with a multimeter. If it's going from high 13v or 14v down to 10v in a day or so then its toast and time for a new one.