CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 cbr- NEED HELP BAD!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 cbr- NEED HELP BAD!!!!!

I just bought a wrecked 98 CBR F3 that had been sitting for 2.5 years. This is my first bike,and I don't know much about them but i'm trying. At first it would start with the choke on and idle but once you take the choke off or give it any gas at all it would cut out. So I took it apart and cleaned the carbs, replaced the fuel filter, and air filter and now it starts and runs with or without the choke and it revs up but sounds like crap.....any ideas???? I need help. I'm so frustrated!!!!!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Default RE: 98 cbr- NEED HELP BAD!!!!!

Define "crap" Specify your problem in detail. Remember, we're not sitting next to you listening.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:38 AM

fouled plugs? are the plugwires on the right order?

Old 05-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Banned

Common problem for newbies... make sure your plug wires are fully seated.

Next, go grab some Seafoam from an auto parts store. Leave a half a gallon of gas in your bike and pour 4 cap fulls of Seafoam into your gas. Shake the bike back and forth to mix it up a lil', then start it. Let it run for a few, then take a couple of smokey trips around your block.

My guess is you didn't clean your jets... ? How exactly did you clean your carbs? Let that Seafoam run in there for as long as you can - might wanna get a can of gas to have just in case.

Here's my guess on your bike, you're carbs need synched, probably badly. It's not a tough job if you have the multi-car synch tool, and they're not expensive, maybe $30. Just takes some time. Combine that with clogged jets and you'll have a bike that will run but sound like crap.

Keep in mind, when you're bike is running - YOU'VE GOT TO FEATHER THAT THROTTLE TO ENSURE IT STAYS RUNNING. Don't know if you've ever had a 2-stroke dirtbike that didn't run great - same thing, feather the throttle. Once it does open up, keep it at over 2K RPM's and higher. If you can, get a nice stretch of road and give the bike WOT (wide open throttle), I'm not talking about speed racer, but a WOT in the first 3 gears or so will open up the butterfly's and get that Seafoam in more areas to clean.

Good luck, keep us posted or die.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:03 PM

Also, if there was any gas in the tank and you are using that gas, it will run horrible on 2.5 year old gas. If you havent done so, drain the tank and flush it. Its probably some really tarnished gas towards the bottom.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Here's my guess on your bike, you're carbs need synched, probably badly.
The springs in there may be shaggedtoo.It's a 12 dollar fix.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:50 AM

WOT in 1st 2nd and 3rd...i get up to 105mph....good advice though.

If the seafoam doesnt work to clean the jets, take a glance over at the how to section in the forum. Theres a how to clean carbs there, on the bottom of the last page i inserted an additional step to clean the idle jets, but that can be taken to clean all the jets.

G/L