0%
Image 2
0%
Image 3
100.00%
I don't care
0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
csp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, just meant the lower bars... lookin' forward to pics.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by csp
yeah, just meant the lower bars... lookin' forward to pics.
I have to take the bike to the muffler shop soon to get my pipes all linked up. When i do that i will take some pics of the tail mess. Taking apart the tail is a pain.

The one downside to this project is that the larger back sprocket is ramping up my RPM's. I think over the winter i will go a +1 in the front to help balance things out. I will be doing 130 km/h and im pushing 6k. fuel consumption is also a bit skewed. All in the effort of learning...

Also, because i dont have plastic under the front of the seat and around the bottom of the tank, as the bike heats up, it all comes out there.. cooks my thights... not like i was planning on having any more kids.

Once i decide to stop riding for the year, I will start the last of the big projects... custom fairing adapters that will blend the seat and gas tank.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike looks great. I'm not a big fan of the white windscreen bc there's so much white, but the bike is awesome.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ajzcamaro
Bike looks great. I'm not a big fan of the white windscreen bc there's so much white, but the bike is awesome.
It's not really what i wanted. I tried to chrome it, but i didnt like the outcome. I will likely do some decal work over the next little bit. It will break up the large amount of white.

I saw a carbon fiber windscreen, may opt to get that.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:51 AM

Awesome work man !

Old 08-27-2011, 08:42 PM

dude awesome work, and dealing with a new baby is hard (been there 3 times)

any updates and would you be willing to do the sssa on my bike?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tal Destra
dude awesome work, and dealing with a new baby is hard (been there 3 times)

any updates and would you be willing to do the sssa on my bike?
3! ha, thats brutal... i had to be talked into the 2 that i had as is!

Unfortuanately no, no updates. Just been riding a bit. Actually, I did have a mechanical failure with the adjustable dogbone on saturday night.

I was just heading out to a BBQ, was down the street when all of a sudden i felt like i ran over a pot hole (there are no potholes in my area).

I stopped to see what the hell happened, and my rear shock had failed... or so i thought at the time. I managed to get it back to my place with the tire rubbing on the exhaust... it was crazy.

I got the bike propped up after a couple minutes. Because the rear was sagging so much, the kickstand was almost inoperable.

Anyhow, after some dicking around, adjusting the shock tension, I ran my hand down the dogbone.. only to find out that the bottom connector had popped out... or had un-threaded. crazy ****.

Had that happened in a turn or highway speed, that would have been it for me.

Anyhow, after some tinkering, i re-threaded it back together again, made sure it was threaded in a good bit... and took it out for a run.

Yesterday, I torqued the bolt a bit more. the point of the adjustable dogbone is to help compensate for the added 3" of height i got when i put the SSSA in. Basically you have to make the dogbone taller to help reduce the ride height of the bike. Its a hex bolt with two threaded bolts that have the eyelets at the top that secure into the bikes frame. The bottom one i suppose overtime just got loose.

very scary. Lesson learned. After tightening the hex, the bike is a little taller, but I feel much safer knowing that there is more threading. Pic to follow to help illuminate the device.

Tal Destra, haha, no, i would never do the amount of work on someone else's bike. It's not a lot of work, but you need to do invest in some tools to make it work.

Really, the key to doing this mod is:

Intact SSSA (vfr 750)
vfr 750 swingarm pivot bolt (you need to have this shortened and re-threaded)
vfr 750-800 rear rim/tire
brake assembly
brake line
19-20mm carbide drill bit (to open the bolt hole in your frame for the vfr pivot bolt)
and to have some shock mount welded to the top.

The hardest part was making a template for the shock mount. every else was just time... and money.

Last edited by nvanvlymen; 05-09-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Default old cbr seat

hey man i saw the seat on the bike before you took it off and replaced it with the r1 tail. do you still have the seat id love to buy it from you

Old 09-20-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by mrsmobbins101
hey man i saw the seat on the bike before you took it off and replaced it with the r1 tail. do you still have the seat id love to buy it from you
unfortunately no, I had sold all the old f3 parts at the begining of the summer. the only things i have left are the side mirrors and some misc parts. but nothing too big.

sorry.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 AM

My custom F3/R1 with undertail pipes and sssa now has a clone. I thought there could only be one, I thought nobody else would do it. I was wrong, Looks good.

Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 Project Bike (SSSA, Car Rim, R1 Tail, F4i front)