CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

98 CBR F3 mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 CBR F3 mods?

Im new to Cbr Forum but it seemed to be a good place to talk about my bike and get advice from knowledgeable people. I got a fully stock 98 honda cbr f3 and i was wondering what (fairly cheap) mods i could do to improve my performance/acceleration. Such as a bigger rear sprocket or a air filter? any advice is much appreciated!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:21 PM

What's your price range? there aren't many cheap mods that will give you a bang for your buck... full exhaust system will help you save on weight, k&n filter actually takes away hp because it restrics airflow, sprocket/chain upgrade depending what route you'll take will give you either more top end or faster pickup....

Old 01-20-2011, 05:30 PM

K&N does yield any gains? I thought it was a better filter?

Old 01-20-2011, 05:40 PM

nope you'll actually lose a hp or 2... it restricts airflow to the engine... there's a few people on race forums that have done dynos with and without and with stock the bike performs better.

Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 AM

My price range would be around 1-200 tops if its REALLY worth it, how much does a bigger sprocket give my hp?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 AM

Do some research man, it's easy to click the search button and type it in... cant be spoon fed unfortunately.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:19 AM

No hp just makes it feel like u have more -1 in the front is a good start

Old 01-21-2011, 01:44 AM

I have a 98 F3, I would recommend the -1 front sprocket and change your oil... LOTS!

The F3 was and still is a Great bike! I have chased down liter bikes and middle weights on my F3 while one of the carbs was stuck closed. I really don't think you need a boost in power, a bit snappier is nice and the -1 tooth in the front did that for me.

How is your idle? is it rough? does it run like crap when it is at low RPM? Does it sputter around 7 or 8k?

I ask because this is what mine was doing when I thought I needed more power. I looked for mods and didn't find much, then I started fixing the little things on the bike and WOW!

My first run on a drag strip (running on 3 cyls) was 12.3ish
Now running on a good 4 I'm pulling 11.3ish.

What changed:
Oil changed every 1000-1500 miles $35
replaced missing carb sync spring $.79
cable lube $14
manual cam chain tensioner $35

~1 second at the strip usually cost a car thousands of dollars, I did it with under $100. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 AM

Spoon fed? I can look around all I want but some things tell you they will increase your hp and they actually dont do anything. So dont comment unless you have a valid answer, nothing says you have to respond to someone.

And for lepy, it doesnt really have a idle problem. It runs really smooth but the trottle seems to not have the same "get up and go" as when i bought it. It seems to have a lag from when i pull the throttle back to when it actually kicks in and accellerates. But everything is stock on it since i bought it. I'm pretty new to bikes, this being my first starter bike im looking to learn alot about bikes from it. Im currently repainting with pearl and metal flake and changing alot of my stock parts out so any advice will be well taken, unless its from kerosene aparently.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:52 AM

My advice would be to concentrate on handling. You will spend more money chasing power than you would spend buying a bike that is truly fast to begin with.

You can get a set of racetech springs for the front end for around $100 you can find a good fox shock for $300 and that will really transform your bike. Also HH pads and braided lines will help huge in the braking department.

If you are feeling a lag when you hit the throttle check for air leaks on the intake boots. they can get old and hard and leak throwing dumping way to much air causing what you are describing.

Quick Reply: 98 CBR F3 mods?