CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   97 cbr600 f3 starting issues. help please (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/97-cbr600-f3-starting-issues-help-please-129416/)

thecoop20 08-09-2011 11:39 AM

97 cbr600 f3 starting issues. help please

I go a 97 cbr600 f3. when i first got it from my buddy it had no power at all. I got power now and when i go to start it it just clicks. so i went through the bike checked all of the fuses relays. the clutch swith and diod are good. the starter relay solinoid and wires going to the starter are good. the kick stand switch is good. so basicly all of the wiring from the diagram is good. I took the crank case cover off to see if the spindals were turning and it looks like the starter is trying to spin but it cant. now for wuestions. i can spin the gears one way but not the other. they spin clockwise but not countercloskwise " the way the starter is going". normal? second could any of this have to do with the tilt switch or does this year have one? any help will be appreciated.

IDoDirt 08-09-2011 05:28 PM

No, this year bike doesn't have a relay for that. Pull the plugs and see if the bike will turn over that way. Bike could be hydrolocked.

thecoop20 08-10-2011 02:51 PM

i pulled the plugs and tryed to start it and still nothing. it looks like the starter is trying to move but nothings going. like i said i got the crank case cover off and i can see the gears but its still doin the same stuff. any other ideas?

jveach 08-10-2011 03:39 PM

try a 4th or 5th gear push start, just to see if motor turn's over

if it does see if it will push start in 2nd gear.

f3rydereglin 08-12-2011 09:54 AM

Im not sure exactly but I had a similiar issue and took it to bike shop several times before it was diagnosed wires to alternator needed replacing....I could be way off but just trying to help out :)

Craig84 08-12-2011 01:16 PM

Well I noticed you didnt say anything about your battery, did you buy a new one to get power? If the connection to the battery is bad it would make a clicking noise, I had it happen to my car once all the dash lights were on and i could use the radio but it wouldnt crank over, it just clicked. Ended up being a corroded battery terminal.

thecoop20 08-12-2011 01:48 PM

the battery is brand new and the only wire i havnt replaced is the ground which im probobly gonna do shortly just to be sure. anybody know if a faulty wire in the alternator or regulator rectifier could cause any of this?

f3rydereglin 08-13-2011 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by thecoop20 (Post 1089546)
the battery is brand new and the only wire i havnt replaced is the ground which im probobly gonna do shortly just to be sure. anybody know if a faulty wire in the alternator or regulator rectifier could cause any of this?

In the alternator it definitely can!

IDoDirt 08-13-2011 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On the right side of the engine is a small inspection cover (Ignition Pulse Generator Cover Cap). If you remove that, there is a bolt on the end of the crankshaft. With the spark plugs removed, try turning that bolt CW for several rotations. It should be fairly easy to turn the engine over manually like this with a socket wrench. I'm just wanting to make sure that the engine does actually rotate without any binding.

Attachment 44845

thecoop20 08-14-2011 09:25 AM

well i took the cover off and tried to turn the bolt conected to the crankshaft under the pulse generator cover and couldnt turn that thing for the life of me. engine siezed? pull the top end? is there anything else it could be? I really dont wanna pull the engine appart but i will if i have to.:/