CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

'95 CBR F3 Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 CBR F3 Not Starting

So I've owned my CBR for a few years now but when I purchased the bike it had a few problems. Over the last few years I've been 'rebuilding' the bike by replacing parts that needed to be replaced. I've changed the spark plugs, fixed the fuel pump switch and relay, adjusted the valve shims, replaced cam chain tensioner, rebuilt carbs, rebuilt front forks, changed engine oil/filter, and replaced battery.

Now, after completing everything I finally attempted to start the bike last night. I tried and tried and tried, but it would not start. I figured it was due to the carbs being completely dry and no gas getting into the system. Well the battery died before getting it to start so I but the battery on a trickle charge and figured I would try again the next day.

Today, I attempted to start the bike up. After a few attempts, its started up with the choke on. Everything seemed to be running fine. I let the bike idle for approx. 5 minutes to warm up. I did not notice any smoke or strange smells or sounds. I slowly moved the choke to the half way off point and adjusted the idle speed. After doing this it instantly died.

I did everything I could to get it started again. Choke on, choke off, open throttle, and adjusted idle speed cable. Nothing would get it to turn over again. The bike would stumble to start but would never completely turn over. I did as many attempts as I could until the battery died again. Battery is currently on trickle charge again. I pulled the spark plugs and noticed the #1 cylinder plug was black and wet. All other plugs checked ok. Also, all four carbs had gas.

Looking for any advice as to what went wrong or what else I may need to do to get it started. I checked all four spark plug wires for spark. All were good. I'm assuming air, fuel, and compression is there since it did start and run for a few minutes.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. This has been a slow project for the last few years with money being invested here and there when I can. Bike has approx. 19k miles.