CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

1998 Honda Cbr 600 se?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Honda Cbr 600 se?

I am currently lookin into buying a bike for the summer, and I came across a nice lookin 1998 honda cbr 600 se. Well it says SE in the description, i personally have never heard of this model. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this model and could tell me a little about it. They have it described like this...1998 Honda CBR 600SE: 10k miles, Very Clean, Pipe, Jetted, K&N, Undertail, Steering Dampner, New Tires, 3800 obo.
It sounds like it could be a good deal, of course i wont really know until i go see it in person, but I would like to hear some opinions. I am no bike expert just an enthusiast who loves the idea of ownin a honda because of their great reputation. The picture looks like the owner has racing stickers on it, and a racing exhaust, so they may have ran it hard for those 10k miles, but who knows? Tell me what you think. Thanks.

Last edited by F4iDreamin; 03-26-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 AM

Two things:

1)Talk them down! The price seems a little high considering the year. If they won't come down keep looking. There are some great deals out there.
2)Have a mechanic look at it. It may cost a little money, but it will be well worth it. Trust me, I know first hand!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM

i pretty sure the se means smoking joes edition which is a plus and would explain all the racing stickers. price seems almost a grand too high. but those are a sweet *** bike. i think for 3800 you could find a good deal on a newer f4i

Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 AM

O ya i was definetly plannin on talkin them down if i went for it, was gonna offer about 2k and see what they said

thanks for the advice

Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 AM

If I had a bike for sale at $3800 and someone offered me 2 g's for it I'd tell them to go fly a kite. Just my thoughts I think you'll have a hard time being taken seriously by low-balling that much.

I bought my 98 F3 with 10k miles for $2000 but it was totally stock and had some ugly tail plastics. I would find a number I was willing to pay and start working with the seller. Unless they're destitute I can't imagine taking half of what I had listed. Just a thought.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:51 PM

Ya santini thats probably true, but they are being a little crazy askin 3800 for a 98 with 10k miles...

One thing I am wondering is, if i should have a mechanic look at it, how much do you think that would cost? I dont exactly have large amounts of cash lyin around and i dont want to get ripped off. Around 20 dollars? anyone have an idea of what a good deal on that would be?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 PM

One thing I am wondering is, if i should have a mechanic look at it, how much do you think that would cost?
I would say around $100. Trust me!!! It is a small investment compared to what you may have to pay in repair! I ended up having to replace both sprockets, chain, brake pads, and the front fork seals on my last bike because I did not know what to look for. Total cost...$850. There could be a million things wrong with that bike and you would never know until it was to late! If you really don't have the money or time to have a mechanic look at it start a thread titled "what should I look for." I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge amongst the members!

Old 03-28-2009, 01:28 AM

Good idea, will do, asking on here is sounds a lot better than 100 bucks... I mean if there is a lot wrong with it, then i wouldve just spent a hundred dollars and i would be back at square one.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM

Good luck with your price negotiations. It is quite sharp at $3800 and I would imagine they'll come down on it. F3's are sought after bikes and most owners have the feeling that they'll get the money back from the aftermarket accessories they put into it. Unfortunately, you're lucky to get .20 cents back on the dollar for aftermarkets.

Do you have a decent Honda shop in your area? I'm lucky enough to have a Powerhouse dealer in my town. For about $70/hour for labor they'll do a pretty quick workup on the bike. When I bought mine the workup was about 2 hours. I negotiated the cost of check out with the seller. The benefit for you goes without saying (watch an episode of People's Court concerning "as-is" sales) and if the bike comes back in tip-top shape, the seller has proof when he advertises. Knowing your local "stealership" can really pay dividends. They will often work on the cost of parts and repair with you if they know they've got a customer spending money. Good luck.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Default 1998 honda cbr se

It is a collectors edition smokin joe's race replica of Miguel Duhamel one of the winningest racer of all time. It was factory produced in 96 and 98. There were only about 1000-1500 produced in 1998. If original it is a rare find. I have one myself. I paid around the same price your person is asking. Look it up on the internet. If you can find one, you won't find someone selling them very cheap. It is a rare factory produced bike. Google 1998 honda smokin joe's cbr.

Quick Reply: 1998 Honda Cbr 600 se?