CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 600F3 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/)
-   -   1996 f3 starting trouble (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3-17/1996-f3-starting-trouble-121128/)

bikerboy46032 02-12-2011 01:06 PM

1996 f3 starting trouble

So I tried starting my F3 today. I drained all the gas out of the tank and put fresh premium in it. It started at first and wasn't running right. It only got up to about 500 rpm idled for about 5 seconds and died. Now it won't start at all. Here's what was done to it last year. Replaced the fuel pump, had the carbs cleaned, and got new plugs. When I went to put it up for the winter I put some sea foam in the gas. I also replaced the air filter over the winter and it started after that. Is it possible that the sea foam fouled the plugs and dirtied the carbs? I'm getting a strong gas smell like it's flooding and then it back fires. HELP 50 degrees ina couple days and want to ride! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bikerboy46032 02-12-2011 01:25 PM

also, somebody had asked when it started last. the answer would be 3 weeks ago and no there is no mouse in my bike and nothing blocking the pipe.

LBK6288 02-12-2011 04:51 PM

I'm on the westside of Indy and am having starting problems as well. I don't have much riding experience but I know what you mean when you say it's gonna be 50! I don't have a fuel smell tho. I just posted something not to long ago. I think mine is a fuel cut relay but not sure. That my be a route you could try. There 65 bucks from Honda on W. Washington. Let me know how your situation goes!

Hootie233 02-12-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by bikerboy46032 (Post 1014038)
So I tried starting my F3 today. I drained all the gas out of the tank and put fresh premium in it. It started at first and wasn't running right. It only got up to about 500 rpm idled for about 5 seconds and died. Now it won't start at all. Here's what was done to it last year. Replaced the fuel pump, had the carbs cleaned, and got new plugs. When I went to put it up for the winter I put some sea foam in the gas. I also replaced the air filter over the winter and it started after that. Is it possible that the sea foam fouled the plugs and dirtied the carbs? I'm getting a strong gas smell like it's flooding and then it back fires. HELP 50 degrees ina couple days and want to ride! HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have the exact same problem. Tried changing out the plugs... but it seems like there is either too much or not enough fuel getting in engine. Im taking my bike apart right now to see if I find anything, I think its gonna take some messing around with the idle screw.... Post up if you find a solution to this

Hootie233 02-21-2011 07:00 PM

So yea I got my bike running. Changed the plugs, bought a new battery and unscrewed the idle adjustment till it was nearly all the way out, then tried starting it every half turn in. Finally fired right up, I gave it a min of running with the choke on untill i closed it and adjusted the idle speed. SHAZAM! now if the roads wernt covered in gravel and my tires wernt bald. Good luck