CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Your advice on a potential buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your advice on a potential buy?

I am looking at a 1991 cbr 600, asking price is $1000. 24K miles on chassis, 1K on rebuilt motor. It has a reconstructed title due to cosmetic damage from a low speed wipe out. Rear tire is bald, needs pretty much all fairings, hand and foot brake levers. blinkers, mirrors, windshield. I have not heard it run because the oil leaked out (it needs a new alternator cover, the current one is badly cracked causing the leak). I would definately need to hear that before buying. Based on all that, would you recommend this buy or should I keep looking? Is there anything about this particular bike that is a problem?

This would be my fourth bike, first crotch rocket. I have owned two standards with fairly peppy motors and one cruiser, now I would like to try a rocket. Been riding for 7 years. I have a Nighthawk now but its too far away and I'm itching to ride!!!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by superUPer
1K on rebuilt motor.
It has a reconstructed title due to cosmetic damage from a low speed wipe out.
Needs pretty much all fairings, hand and foot brake levers. blinkers, mirrors, windshield. I have not heard it run because the oil leaked out (it needs a new alternator cover, the current one is badly cracked causing the leak).

You should know having owned three other bikes that all of the above equals up to a full blown crock of friggen ****!!!!

Low speed crash that demolished everything on the bike, ruined all the fairings, damaged the stator cover to the point it's leaked all of it's oil out (lord knows if it dumped that oil while still running).

An engine rebuild at 23k on an engine that is known to last until 100k with just simple basic maintenance? Not to mention rebuilt by who, how well, and what did they skip over that was almost as abused but not quite all the way broken yet!

Don't walk away from this bike. RUN the f-ck way!

Old 06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Registered Users

agreed! for 1500 - 2000 you can pick up a real sweetheart of an F2 if you look hard. Use Craigspal
don't know what craigspal is? get familiar if you are looking for a used bike.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 PM

The rebuild is what had me the most leary, I've seen what a bad job can do. The plastics aren't totally demolished, but would need replacing. But then I saw the guy was trying to sell the plastics on CL for $100!?!? This bike is not for me thanks for putting my head back on straight. I'm sure you guys know what the bike fever can do

Never used craigspal, I use craiglook and searchtempest. Only thing is they aren't much use in anchorage ak

Old 06-08-2011, 04:21 AM

I am looking at a 1991 cbr 600, asking price is $1000. 24K miles on chassis, 1K on rebuilt motor. It has a reconstructed title due to cosmetic damage from a low speed wipe out. Rear tire is bald, needs pretty much all fairings, hand and foot brake levers. blinkers, mirrors, windshield. I have not heard it run because the oil leaked out (it needs a new alternator cover, the current one is badly cracked causing the leak). I would definately need to hear that before buying. Based on all that, would you recommend this buy or should I keep looking? Is there anything about this particular bike that is a problem?

This would be my fourth bike, first crotch rocket. I have owned two standards with fairly peppy motors and one cruiser, now I would like to try a rocket. Been riding for 7 years. I have a Nighthawk now but its too far away and I'm itching to ride!!!
Hi i,m from the UK and have the 600F2 1994 and i just had to buy a complete used engine unit for mine. They wanted £225.00 and i got it for £150.00 thats with the starter motor, clutch etc still fitted, straight onto mine and sounds sweet. What i am saying is that the F2 was one of the most pop bikes built and there are plenty out there, runners and breakers. Seems to me like a lot of work on the one you like and a lot of money.Like you say you have bike fever lol, had that too. Look around get something you can sit straight on and ride. you will find better.