CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Is it worth fixing up an F2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth fixing up an F2?

Hey all... just gathering opinions out there, as I'm indecisive about this.

So I've solved my misfiring dilemma and after some basic tune-ups, my 94' F2 that I bought last month for $1600 is running nice, smooth, and strong. However, when I bought it, it only had the upper fairing and I didn't know anything about tires.

Well, now that I've been riding around with the bike, it feels weird that there's only an upper fairing on the bike and I see all these R6's and RR's around. They look beautiful and I'm starting to WANT one of those bikes. However, I've only been riding for only 1 month....a complete novice...and i'm not sure if those bikes are tremendously different and difficult to handle for a novice.

So I'm thinking of buying new tires, changing the worn out seat for a corbin seat, and buying a completely full set of fairings for the bike.

Is it worth doing all that to an F2 or should I just put it towards like an 01-03 F4i or even a different brand, yet more modern motorcycle? I've already spent money getting the engine tuned up + I just bought a new signal relay.

Last edited by EHUnlucky7x9; 07-30-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If your bike isn't in nice shape, it's probably not worth it.

The F2's are classics, but they will never be an RR.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Totally depends on what you want to do. If you just want something cheap to cruise around with, then stick with the F2 and find used fairings on ebay and paint them... if you can't paint, ship them to me, I'll do it. :P

F2's are well built bikes and if you keep up the maintenance (like making sure your carbs don't sit with old fuel lol *so common*), they won't give you many problems. They are old, and because of that, are cheap. Insurance is next to nothing. I have had my F2 for 7 years now, and still love it. The only thing that sucks is that I am riding on the track now and she is far outdated.

If you want something that is faster, handles better, and costs a lot more... then upgrade. The newer bikes are way better performance wise, but unless you are racing, you are just spending cash on looks.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:08 PM

Well, I am considering to make the bike look like kpnupe's bike. I just like the way that looks. I'm not interested in track racing or anything. I just picked this bike up for summer rides when I go places and don't need to carry anything. Plus, it lets my G37S cool down and get a break.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM

i wouldn't say the newer bikes are more difficult to handle. they're def higher performance but they are very smooth and nice to ride (speaking of the 600rr which is the only newer sportbike i've ridden). if you ride responsibly i would say you will have no problems. on the other hand since you've only been riding for a month you might want to consider sticking with the f2 for now with used fairings. you can sand them down and spray paint them even if you want and it will look decent. i don't know you but i've seen too many new riders drop their bikes at low / no speed and end up with broken plastics on an otherwise really nice bike

ps i am in the process of fully restoring / customizing my f2 and i am going to love it when its finished but when i go to the dealer to pick up a part or something i really want an RR lol. take that as you wish. here's how my f2 looks right now: http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/P7190736.jpg and http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/P7190732.jpg

Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride here in Indy with Huyabusas and RR in our crew and my F2 streetfighter(Rat Bike) is very well respected for style and output. *** it, it isnt a matter what you have, it is that you ride. It can keep up and out preform everything comes across its path. My 2 cents!

Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 AM

I was thinking about doing a bunch of stuff to "update" the 93 I am getting in the spring. However I think I am just going to ride it for a while as it is. I will probably get it painted but that is about it. The bike runs well and I am only paying $1500 for it. Better I drop that one when I start riding than a newer bike that costs 3-4x that (most I would spend right now).

IMO, just keep it. Save your $$ through next season and see what is what.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:26 AM

The RRs and R6s are horrible street rides.The F2 is one of the best streetbikes ever built.Cheap insurance ($1300/yr on my RR vs $80/yr on my street F2),parts are waaaaay cheaper,plus there is the immeasurable pride when you do a fixxer-upper and whiz away for low-cents-on-the-dollar.

Clean it up,ride on.

Holla back.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:33 AM

radman3120...I like the seats of your bike. The stock F2 seat I have has any passenger of mine slide forward into me....cause its worn out. Maybe I'll take pictures of the bike and show you guys.

I bought Left & Right fairings for the F2....didn't match up with whatever fiberglass upper fairing the previous owner had on it. So I had to cut the tabs on the stock ABS i bought. Now its kind of on the bike...^_^ but still... kind of gives the look that the bike is goin to fall apart lol.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:10 AM

Radman.. Where do you get a tail like that... Looks great.

Quick Reply: Is it worth fixing up an F2?