CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

will rain hurt anything under fairings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will rain hurt anything under fairings?

OK so im new to the mechanics of these bikes, and Im purchasing a '93 F2 with about 20k miles. The bike itself seems to be fine mechanically, but it has obviously been dropped several times, the fairings are beat to **** on one side (minimal metal damage).

My concern is, whoever owned the bike originally replaced the fairings with a mismatched set, so they dont quite fit on the bike correctly leaving odd little gaps and spaces. For example, the windshield only meets with the fairing on about 2/3 of each side, and there is a gap between the seat and the tail. I plan on riding this rain/shine, so I was wondering if these gaps which will probably allow a decent amount of water under the fairings will cause any damage to internals. I know with my corvette there was no spraying down the engine compartment because of touchy electronics, is there anything similar here?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: will rain hurt anything under fairings?

In a nutshell....NO! There really shouldn't be any harm as electrical is covered and sealed....BUT, being fifteen years old and the previous owner seems to have M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E'd things together, it's hard to tell what kind of wear and tear has occured...
RB

Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Well good! (I think electrical is ok, but Ill double check to make sure.)

Its got some other odd features. such as a place in the center of the radiator where it looks like there is a bunch of melted metal, almost like someone tried to weld something there.

And lastly, can anyone help identify what freakin fairings are on this bike? The solid blacktail says 600F2, but I dont think it matches the front which is solid redwith "Honda racing" a bit under the windshield. I kinda doubt thats really enough to ID it but Ill post some pictures in a few days and try again if not

Old 09-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try using BikeBandit.com to check out the fairings.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:08 AM

Bikebandit.com doesnt show pictures of the fairings.. which seems retarded, but they dont.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:01 PM

OK so Im taking pictures tonight or tomorrow morning and posting them- but I took apart the front end last night and found some interesting things. It looks like the bike was in a front end collision, because the entire piece that used to hold in the front fairing/headlight has been sawed off. The headlight is attached to the FAIRING inside, using a piece of metal that is screwed onto the inside, and there is nothing holding it from behind or below.

The front fairing itself is all 1 piece, with a separate bottom piece. The stock front/lower/upper are 4-5 pieces, not 2 right?

Old 10-11-2007, 02:11 AM

its an after market kit thats why it doesnt fit right ... if you dont mind me asking home much did you pay for the bike

Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM

hmmmm weld on the radiatior?

comon-jb weld hole patch.

lights mounted like that? gotta assk, does it ride straight? sounds bad....

fairings, post pics and i'll help ya out with that one.

electronics-if you see un-shielded wires anywhere, poor connections, or anything that doesnt look waterproof.....hit it with some hot glue to coat it and avoid potential shorts....that stuff actually provides great insulation.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:45 PM

Had to run into work, but took pictures and they will be up tonight.

The wiring is messy and old looking, but it all seems relatively well shielded and is working ok. The radiator was obviously impacted by something, which is part of the reason Im guessing it was in a front end collision, almost looks like the wheel folded into it. (works ok though, stays nice and cold.)

I bouught the bike for 1400, which I am still thinking is a decent deal. It does ride straight, theres no wobble or unusual vibration. Sighting everything it all looks straight and proper as can be. From what I can tell the bike has never been dropped at any speed. There are no sliding scratches on any of the metal parts