CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Wierd problem.Does this sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd problem.Does this sound right?

Ok i just went to start my bike up just to start it and let things circulate.last had it started 2 days ago started fine no problems.Well i went to start it there was a weird click noise like my battery was dead and it seems Almost Hydro locked fuel maybe?..if i held the start button it would crank(very Fainly tho) a sec then stop and make that weird click noise again.i noticed i left my petcock on the res. position.from the other day,Could it maybe just have flooded my cylinders and carbs.Now that i hook the battery charger up letting it charge it cranks down but doesnt fire.Also a strong smell of gas.when im trying to start it.Could it have fouled my plugs?and also when you guys all park your bikes.Do you's always turn the petcock off.Is it a problem parking it letting it on the on position.I know some of this i probably answered my own questions.But i just wanna get peoples thoughts.Just all seemed weird to me.by the way its a brand new battery.about 2 weeks old.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Default RE: Wierd problem.Does this sound right?

It sounds like your battery is dead.

The clicking you are hearing is your starter motor not having the power to tuen the bike over. I've had the same thing (this week) on my CBR. My DRZ exhibited exactly the same noise when the battery didn't have enough power to turn the engine over.

If your battery has dissapated/died like that you *may* have developed the infamous regulator/rectifier problem. That's only a thought though, you'd need to see if it's a recurring problem and check it out with an amp meter. Again from what I've read on here R/R death can take the battery with it.

The puel smell is a result of fuel getting fed to the ike with no ignition.

There was a thread on the forum recently explaining why the starter makes the click noise, but you'd need to search for it. Me? I'm happy just knowing that that's what the noise is. :-)

Have you tried a defferent battery or even jump starting the bike?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:37 PM

yea i understand what your saying and i know the click noise is the sign of a dead battery.But was fine 2 days ago..brand new battery..just tried it before and it was weird..almost like my cylinders could of possiably been hydro locked with fuel.becuz it would click and crank Very weird sounding.after letting the battery on the charger..now it cranks wont start puts like it wants to but blows flames out the exhaust..So im thinking its just flooded now probably fouled my plugs out or something..Could letting it on the reserve position anyone affect that at all?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:49 PM

My battery was new also and flattened in 3 days - my R/R saw to that though, which is why I was suggesting the same thing for you. :-)

Personally, I leave the fuel on at all times (although I wouldn't over long term storage), as far as I'm aware there's a vacuum line form the tank/petcock to the carbs so I don't think much fuel should be able to leak from the tank. I've never had any problems doing that.

I think fouled plugs sounds like a possible reason for the bike not starting. I'm sure some of the more experienced posters will be able to give you a bunch of pointers.

Good luck. :-)

Old 12-13-2008, 09:46 PM

1. Your battery is dead from trying to crank it too much. How it got that way?I don't know. Maybe you initial charge was bad. Clean off your plugs and try to jump start it with the charger set at 2amp..never charge your battery at a higher amperage then that or it'll shorten it's lifespan.(Don't jump it with a car battery) After a full charge check the voltage with a multimeter. It should be around 13.5v right after the charge and drop down to about 12.7 after a few hours.
2. It's not hydrolocked..unburnt fuel gets shot out the exhaust valves and into your muffler(hence the gas smell)..that's why it looks like it's gonna shoot flames when your motor ignites a cylinder or two.
3. Your Plugs are probably fouled by now. If it's isn't too bad then try to clean them up and put it back in there.
4. Fuel won't get into your carbs unless the engine is cranking on a F2.(unless you have a faulty petcock or floats)

Old 12-13-2008, 10:39 PM

GOt it idk left it sit about an hour went down and it fired right up..I think me leaving it on the res. position made it act up..?but it fired up runs smooth like always..idk

Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 PM

It's not a big mystery..It got more juice from you leaving it on the charger. More spark=easier to burn that fuel in your cylinders. Now you have to find out why it drained in a matter of 2 days. Is it a used battery(previous owner could've said it was new but people lie) that came with the bike? What amperage are you charging at?

Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM

+1 for a broken R/R

Old 12-16-2008, 08:14 PM

no it was a brand new battery that i had just bought at the store about a week ago..But after this problem i stated I left it sit for about an hour went back down and it fired right up..Been firing up every since..Weird..?So problem solved..maybe it is a sign of something failing tho..

Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 PM

That is strange. I'd plan on only taking it on short trips for awhile just to make sure the battery is going to hold out. If the R/R is shot you'll be stranded for sure.