CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

What's going on? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's going on? Help!

Guys,

I have a CBR 600 F2 (1992) model around 36000 miles.

It appears to have intermittent problem with the bike shutting off and then it would only start if it is jump started (jump leads connected to car battery).

So yesterday evening on way home from work, I was riding normal, I slowed down at one roundabout and the bike suddently stalled completely! I turned the ignition key, all lights came on and when I tried to start, it would just crank (try to start....tick...tick...tick).

I tried to push start, let it cool down etc.....but nothing.....the lights always come on, it cranks but the bike would not start.

So I called my bro to come with jump leads. When I jump started.....it fired up straight away! Working fine since yesterday! The said issue has now happened 3 or 4 times.....where the bike has stalled all of sudden and has started with jump start.

Just to let you, I have recently put in a brand new battery. And this was the first time since battery change.

Please advise what could be causing the problem and what should I check in steps or change.......I have not changed the spark plugs since I have bought the bike 6 months ago.

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

***See other thread in gen tech

https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-t...g-help-140320/

Last edited by 74demon; 08-23-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your voltage regulator isnt charging the battery. either that or the stator which both are common to go on these bikes. My opinion is the voltage regulator usually goes before the stator but i could be wrong. I think theres a whole thread on how to test these

Old 08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This could also be loose/corroded connections in your kill/start switch assembly - the next time this happens, try flicking the switch on and off a few times - if it starts right back up immediately, then this is your problem.
This is a semi-common issue - the leads in the switch are exposed to moisture when in the rain, or when you wash the bike, and might need to be just cleaned or maybe re-soldered.
I had to do this not too long ago, and 10 minutes and 1 dab of solder later was all it took to resolve - to be preventitive with these things, use a leaf blower or air blower that can be seperated from a wet/vac, to blow all the moisture free around your switches and gauges, following a wash.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 06-21-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:01 PM

When my bike died on me (randomly stalled on the road), it turned out to be a bad voltage regulator. I think you can test them pretty easily with a digital multimeter.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM

+1 for the R/R. I was on the freeway and bike died on me. Voltage regulator wasn't supplying the battery with any juice to charge the battery. A lot of people, even qualified mechanics said it was the stator, but I replaced the R/R and the bike as been running fine since. (Knock on wood)

Old 08-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Superduperasad, when you say that in each of these incidents, the bike would crank, but just not start - just to clarify, are you saying that the starter WAS successfully spinning the motor around, but just that it wouldn't fire?
If this IS the case, then your battery clearly hasn't drained, and this is very likely the kill switch, and not the R/R.
I'm not saying that you DON'T maybe have an issue with the R/R, but if the starter is spinning the motor at these occasions, as fast as it normally would, then you need to check that kill switch.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 02-24-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Superduperasad, when you say that in each of these incidents, the bike would crank, but just not start - just to clarify, are you saying that the starter WAS successfully spinning the motor around, but just that it wouldn't fire?
If this IS the case, then your battery clearly hasn't drained, and this is very likely the kill switch, and not the R/R - if you have loose/corroded leads in that switch, the jumping of the battery will push a little extra voltage, so that current can "jump" better between the possible loose/corroded leads.
I'm not saying that you DON'T maybe have an issue with the R/R, but if the starter is spinning the motor at these occasions, as fast as it normally would, then you need to check that kill switch.
Nice. Hopefully JNS doesn't get rid of HIS F2 anytime soon...