CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Well this sucks.. need advice

Old 11-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well this sucks.. need advice

So, some of you may recall my previous question about the valve adjustment.. as it worked out I ended up taking it to the shop and getting a full tuneup (valve adjustment, carb sync, oil change, brake fluid change, radiator fluid change, spark plugs, etc)

One of the things he told me was that there was a lot of rust and sediment in the radiator and he had to flush it out. Well I got the bike back and it definitely ran better, but I was taking it across the pass and after about 150 miles I looked down and see my heat gauge pegged at hot, and I pull over immediately. All sorts of stuff was burning off and there was a chocolate milk lookin stuff sprayed all over the right side and inside. It was a mix of that and green stuff, so I figured it was oil and coolant mixed.

The coolant tank looked pretty much empty and it was everywhere so I couldnt tell where it was coming from. I called the mechanic who serviced my bike and he said that it was most likely the water pump seals going bad, allowing coolant and oil to mix. Also said that it spraying everywhere might have something to do with a vent thats part of the air system.

Does this sound accurate? He also said its fairly easy to fix, its just three bolts that holds in the water pump. Im worried about how long I may have been running hot, and about my head gaskets and block. I dont think it was that long, but I dont see a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust so it appears they might be ok?

I just need any help/advice you guys can offer this sucks, I just put 1000 into that bike and a good 600 or so of that service is probably wasted now. Anyone know a good place to get a new water pump? New or used?

Old 11-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Default RE: Well this sucks.. need advice

I could have sworn i read something about the gasket and the way it was made was to not allow it to break and mix oil and coolant. I read something along this in the manual. anyways i just wouldnt drive it the way it is. Best way to find cheap parts (what i do) i type in motorcycle parts or cheap motorcycle parts in google and look through each site that comes up. takes 20 minutes but could save you a nice dime.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

www.bikebandit.com

lowest prices anywhere

Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Sounds like the water pump is at least part of the problem. Id the internal seal gives out, it has a little hole to vent from.

I bought mine new from bikebandit and it solved overheating problems when I first bought it. It is easy to install.

Good luck!

Tim

Old 11-12-2007, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: CBR13F2

I could have sworn i read something about the gasket and the way it was made was to not allow it to break and mix oil and coolant. I read something along this in the manual. anyways i just wouldnt drive it the way it is. Best way to find cheap parts (what i do) i type in motorcycle parts or cheap motorcycle parts in google and look through each site that comes up. takes 20 minutes but could save you a nice dime.
This is true and the reason for the weep hole, but if the seal has come completely apart oil could be making it to the mix. Definitely don't ride it like this. Bikebandit is a good source. If you are an AMA member you get a discount.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:49 PM

Thanks guys, I'm gonna pick up this bike this weekend, take it home and tear it apart. Ill let you know all the fun details then. If the water pump is indeed the part I think Im gonna pick up a used from from Jonblaze since he's parting out his bike. We'll see

Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 PM

Yep, I got what you need. I can't believe nobody is interested in a frame with a clean title that is already quality made for a f4i tailsection. It makes your bike look sweet. It also comes with the modified f4i front seat.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19168/01680BDA909945FD89892044A39365E0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Got my bike back home, and ordered a myriad of parts from jonblaze, Ill let you guys know what I find when I open it all up.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:32 PM

Welll, my mechanic was 100% right, the seal from the oil pump to the water pump went bad, and the coolant was just decimated, pump is no good anymore. Took the whole thing apart, and as soon as my new parts from Jonblaze get here Ill put em in and my bike should be good as new.

New andunrelated question though, how do you guys lift your rear to remove the rear axle? I need to put a new rotor on.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 PM

I don't have a rearstand so I do a couple things. Usually I just put a block under the kickstand then kick the bike up on the stand and put blocks or weights under the bike just enough to get the rear wheel to spin. I usually go ahead and loosen everything up first, of coarse. I've also put jackstands under my frame sliders in the front to balance the bike and then took the seat off and put a rachet strap around my subframe and then wrapped it around a ceiling truss or a tree branch or whatever and cranked the *** end up. That way is a lot safer but I'll do whatever it takes to get it up just a little. It helps to have someone else there to help balance the bike especially if you're using blocks. **** I get my wife to help me do that even. Those are 2 free ways to do it. If you wanna be safer, get a bike stand.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well this sucks.. need advice