CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Upgrades over Winter...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrades over Winter...

Hey guys,
So thinking of upgrading the bike over the winter. So far I've got the entire fairing kit off, and the exhaust to clean it and paint it. I've got some high temp paint (up to 1200 degrees) if you know of any better paint though let me know.

I have a list of things that i want to upgrade such as fairings, brake/clutch handles, mirrors, and the instrument cluster. I've looked up fairing kits on ebay, as well as the other parts and found everything i was going to need. If any of you have any other sites to look into just let me know.

Also I've been looking at getting a KOSO instrument cluster, but I do however like the F4i's cluster so which would you recommend?

Last question of this post though. I have seen the full F2 with fairings, and I have seen it upgraded to F4i fairings, and some awesome streetfighters so I guess the next question is (and i know it's all based on what you like personally) which is the best to go with and is there any significance? Thanks guys and hope you don't mind all the questions...

Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like you said, the overall look you choose (streetfighter, F2 fairings, or convert to newer style), is all about what you want to do, but obviously, some choices require more work/ingenuity than others.
I prefer fully faired F2s to streetfighters, partially because that's just the look I like more, but also because in my opinion, you've really got to do some cool stuff, and come up with some neat ideas to make the F2 truly look sweet in streetfigher form - it's just my opinion, but I just don't think the F2 lends itself as well to the streetfigher look than other bikes, unless you really commit to seeing it through, and do a lot of cool custom stuff.

If you do go with fairings, a lot of folks have employed the cheap Hong Kong sets, myself included, and you can do a search for this on the F2 forum, and find a lot of feedback. The fairing sets out there offer you a lot of options for colors/graphics, so it's nice to be able to completely transform your bike relatively quickly, but these kits are not without their issues - they are not usually as simple as "get 'em, get 'em on, & get!"... their are headaches.
If you check my build threads, you'll see the results of my experience with the Hong Kong stuff, plus a host of other mods, some of which you mentioned, IE, mirrors, levers, etc.

The simplest fairing route, with regards to easy, proper fitment, and the best quality of plastic, would be to use OEM plastic, and do your own custom paint, graphics, or whatever... this only works, though, if you're comfortable with plastic repair (if necessary), and painting.

As far as the gauges, the most commonly used sets I've seen on F2s, are from Koso, Trail Tech, and Veypor - and of course, using something from a newer bike, most commonly, the F4i conversion.
I have not personally done this yet, but will be doing it sometime in the near future, and at this point I'm leaning toward the latest model from Veypor, but I haven't decided yet, as I have more research to do when that time actually comes.

Good luck with whatever you do, & post up some pics of your ride, as it sits currently, & after you progress with your work! We love that crap!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO.. and they my sound crazzy but nothing will do it for me other then an oem F2.. yea it will cost but like i said for me thats the only way....

Attached Thumbnails Upgrades over Winter...-new-f2-pics-021.jpg